New PPS cups

TroubleTrouble Posts: 381Member ✭✭✭
My paint distributor has told me PPS has come out with a new cup system and for a limited time I can trade my old adapters for the new style at no cost. I have 5 guns so getting the new style adapters for free will save me a few bucks. Does any one know if they will be phasing out the old style cups?
Has any one tried the new system? if so how do you like it?

Comments

• versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 225Member ✭✭✭
    I have used it, it works good. Not a lot different, but enough changes that nothing from the original style will work. I didn't trade in my old adapters, 3m just came in and gave me a bunch of new style adapters, cups, lids, bins, etc.
    I would not get rid of the old adapters, 3m old style will be around for awhile, and there are already companies that are making the old style for cheaper.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,765Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    They are going to take your old adapters because the patent ran out on them and other (pronounced: "WAY CHEAPER") people can start making them now. So they will give you for "FREE" some new adapters that you will have to buy their NEW PATENTED cups to use, therefore continuing to rake you over the coals till the patent runs out on those... Whats the problem with the old ones? do they not hold paint anymore? Those 3M guys really know how to take care of you...
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,647Administrator El Jefe
    They are going to take your old adapters because the patent ran out on them and other (pronounced: "WAY CHEAPER") people can start making them now. So they will give you for "FREE" some new adapters that you will have to buy their NEW PATENTED cups to use, therefore continuing to rake you over the coals till the patent runs out on those... Whats the problem with the old ones? do they not hold paint anymore? Those 3M guys really know how to take care of you...
    What he said...
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,477Member ✭✭✭✭
    "Free" ........ red flag !!
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 381Member ✭✭✭
    OK thanks looks like I will be keeping them lol
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 193Member ✭✭✭

What he said...

Do you know when the pps cup design will change so you can’t use current cups? And who do we contact for replacement? The company we purchased paint guns from ?

• schidroschidro Posts: 381Member ✭✭✭
    I'd bet you will be able to get non-branded PPS style cups elsewhere for a much better price. I would definitely keep the old adapters. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,035Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very sure 3M will keep making the "old" pps cups as long as there is money in it.

and, since the patent is expired, somebody else will come along and make them also.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,647Administrator El Jefe
    Sreynolds said:

"Free" ........ red flag !!

Like @smedlin 's Mom...lol...

But seriously...yea there is no "free lunch"...they want to trap you into their system...it worked so well last time they could charge people $2 a lid/liner set up that they were paying around $.09 a set up for in China...so be careful...