Brain Pot Activator System

sonic89sonic89 Posts: 59Member
Has anyone purchased/used this system? Is it really as good as they claim? Because they claim it will almost elimate all of your activating issues (which if true, it is definitely worth the price tag). How do you guys feel about this? 

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭✭✭
    @sonic89 I'm not trying to come off as an a$$ but their is no magic wand that will eliminate all activating problems. Unless you have an automated system that you can precisely dial in. Your speed, spray height, angle it all matters. The big plus with the pot is that you have no fog cloud above your tank. If you know how to set up a gun then the GPI would work great
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,353Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Unless you have an automated system that you can precisely dial in. Your speed, spray height, angle it all matters.

Even that doesn’t eliminate all problems! Trust me on this one. What the Brain pot helps with is consistency. The gun setup is taken out of the equation. Hook up the correct air pressure and it sprays a perfect pattern with no cloud. Very consistent if you can move at a consistent speed and height. Production shops have been using these for many years. It was developed by Mossy Oak for their licensees a long time ago. Big Brain just brought it to market.

It is a fantastic system, but like anything, there is a learning curve. It is spraying straight activator and more gets on your film. I had a tendency to over-activate compared our GPI.

On that note, the Devilbiss GPI from Jim is amazing also, and much less expensive. We are familiar with that, so we tend to reach for that instead of the Brain gun.

Honest answer from my opinion, the GPI is the way to go for 85% of people and it will eliminate activation problems as well. If you learn to dial in your Activator gun properly and read your film, you can use ANY decent spray gun to activate with. If you’re running production and need something that you don’t need to refill and don’t want to get choked out of a poorly ventilated shop? The Brain Pot is worth the price.
  • sonic89sonic89 Posts: 59Member
    Great info guys thank you so much
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 190Member ✭✭✭

Unless you have an automated system that you can precisely dial in. Your speed, spray height, angle it all matters.

On that note, the Devilbiss GPI from Jim is amazing also, and much less expensive. We are familiar with that, so we tend to reach for that instead of the Brain gun.

Honest answer from my opinion, the GPI is the way to go for 85% of people and it will eliminate activation problems as well. If you learn to dial in your Activator gun properly and read your film, you can use ANY decent spray gun to activate with. If you’re running production and need something that you don’t need to refill and don’t want to get choked out of a poorly ventilated shop? The Brain Pot is worth the price.
    Devilbiss GPI all the way.

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,845Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Devilbiss GPI. Most of us have one.

When I did the training with Big Brain, they were JUST coming out with the Brain Pot.. but they was still using the Devilbiss themselves.

And I firmly believe we should learn with a spray gun. You just can't substitute the knowledge gained from that.

And the Devilbiss GPI is the best. Made not for paint, but made FOR activator.

Having said that.....

If something happened to my Devilbiss... I'd probably order the Brain Pot.

Why? Well.. I'd really like to have a nice vent system above my tank. I don't.

When you combine the cost of the Devilbiss with a decent Vent system?

How close does that come to the cost of the Brain Pot?
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,733Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check with @pahydrographics - they have the @TrayersSlayers version for a fraction of the price
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,268Administrator El Jefe
    pbliz said:

Devilbiss GPI all the way.

This...and it's still cheaper than any "pot" on the market...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe Jason stopped making the trayer slayer. They were talking about it on fb the other day. 
  • TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Posts: 249Member ✭✭✭
    Pa Hydrographics has one left. 

Pa Hydrographics has one left. 

@TrayersSlayers Nice to see you around again my Ninja...
    edited March 13
    @K2Concepts Thank you I got caught up in the facebook drama had to get away for awhile cause everything and everyone was irritating me. Took a step back. Worked my **badword** off this winter and going to be building a new shop this summer. 
    @sonic89 you can still over and undee activate with a pot. There not a magical item. I would suggest that you learn with a hvlp gun first then if you still want to go to a pot system. They have a learning curve. Guys who have them won't give them up. Others like good hvlp gun more. The GPI is a great activator gun. Air gunsa also good but no GPI. Pro-tec 4000, and the R-500 that @onehitwonder sells are also good activator guns. Pro-tec and the R-500 are basically the same thing. 
    @TrayersSlayers Yea I hear that brother...start a thread with your new shop...like to see it...
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 343Member ✭✭✭
    I also agree with every one I have a pot system and it works great on big runs. I still prefer my GPI. I also found that there is no one activator that works on all patterns. I keep my passes the same speed. I no longer make fast or slow passes like I was originally taught. Consistency is very important in the activation process my pass speed and height always stay the same. I use hotter or leaner activators to make my change. I have a written recipe for all the films we use. When I get a new pattern in I start making a new recipe I take 2-3 speed shapes and figure out what activator and number of passes I need after doing this for a long time I can usually do it fairly quick you can see the difference by putting the speed shapes side by side. The GPI paid for itself in no time but it was not a magic wand. Experience and time in the tank and paying attention to what's going on is key. Professional training also reduces the learning curve.
    Trouble said:

I also agree with every one I have a pot system and it works great on big runs. I still prefer my GPI. I also found that there is no one activator that works on all patterns. I keep my passes the same speed. I no longer make fast or slow passes like I was originally taught. Consistency is very important in the activation process my pass speed and height always stay the same. I use hotter or leaner activators to make my change. I have a written recipe for all the films we use. When I get a new pattern in I start making a new recipe I take 2-3 speed shapes and figure out what activator and number of passes I need after doing this for a long time I can usually do it fairly quick you can see the difference by putting the speed shapes side by side. The GPI paid for itself in no time but it was not a magic wand. Experience and time in the tank and paying attention to what's going on is key. Professional training also reduces the learning curve.

This...
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    GPI gun from Jim, its all set up, and ready to go with the paperwork to help readjust if you need to clean or something gets out of wack. well worth the $$ best thing we ever did, was buy that gun.. As Joe @MidOhioHydrographics stated, until you automate, the inconsistencies will always be haunting you. but learn on a HVLP gun first.. The pot is a good deal, but kinda spendy on our end of town.