Activator issues

any help is greatly appreciated. I am new to this and have been doing well so far. but for some reason I am now having an issue with film sticking to my projects. Air Compressor PSI is between 60 and 70psi. gun pressure is at 30psi. I.4 tip, I am using TWN 2010 activator with 2 passes over film after 1 minute in water and dipped with in 5 to 10 sec... I know, many of you don't like that activator, but its what I have now...
I have been using this combination since the beginning with no issues, now, for some reason film is not sticking. and I have not changed my prep routine either. I adjusted to different combinations of air pressure. with lower pressure I waited 30 to 40 seconds or until I could pull a corner up with finger tip to test film. still no luck, ready to run head into wall, sugesstions are welcomed. thanks,

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,914Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    try a different film, just to make sure there is nothing wrong with your process.

if it works, your problem film may be bad.. it happens sometimes.

if it does not work, you know you have a procedure problem somewhere.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 572Member ✭✭✭
    Are you putting the film on the water with the right side up? Lick your fingers and pinch the corner. Put the sticky side down on the water
  • headhunterheadhunter Posts: 11Member
    yes, we tried multiple films. and we had the sticky side down. has me puzzled for sure.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,702Member ✭✭✭✭
    @headhunter film isn't sticking anywhere? Or just spots not sticking?
    on some pieces it washes right off the whole piece and others its spots. I am using CCI base coat on some and One hit Wonder on others and it seems to be worse on the one hit.
    @headhunter are you over activating? Do you have pics or a video would help 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,466Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Pics help. Always include pics. If I had to guess? That PSI, tip size, and activator? You’re under activating. But pics first.
    understood, will try to get them on here, if I can figure out how to do that now...hahaha.
    The cup picture, the cup on right had one shot wonder out of aerosol base coat, the one on left, had CCI base coat. Some pieces hardly any film stuck, and yet on the bottom pic, it held up much better and that was with CCI base coat. 
    Bottom pic is underactivated and trapped air. Are you going in on a 45 degree angle
    angle was good.. under activated I can understand. I also noticed that film that would normally activate with in seconds with the same activator I always used was not glossing for sometime, excess of 45sec to 1 minute. could the weather have made that much of a difference . im in south florida. we have to seasons, hot and hotter. with humidity.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,435Administrator El Jefe
    edited March 7
    Who the heck told you 30 PSI for an activator gun pressure?...WAY TOO HIGH brother...you should be down around 10 PSI or less...

You are evaporating your activator before it even gets on the film...thus the underctivation issues...not to mention I can't for the life of me figure out how you are not blowing the film out of the water....

Oh yea...and TWN 2010 just plain sucks...
    yes, thanks for the info. I have now learned that myself. lowered pressure, I was at that before and am doing much better, but still get the little holes in the pattern. looks like im still not getting enough activation.
    Yep your still underactivated but looks much better. 
    thanks, so I have slowed down my hand more, even made minor adjustments to the flow and fan on the gun to try to find that sweet spot. but still cant make a perfect dip. what the hell am I doing wrong. hahaha.. here is a pic of the fan out of the gun for the activator on paper.. this was 3 short bursts of the gun.

What kind of gun are you using? Also when shooting your test pattern don't do burst , do like a 1 1000 2 1000 and then look at it. Or even get a long pc of cardboard and spray like your activating to see if your staying even while spraying
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,748Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,435Administrator El Jefe
    thanks Jason, will try that process again and see if I have better luck this time.