Garnet or aluminum oxide — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Garnet or aluminum oxide

Been using aluminum oxide for sandblasting stocks barrels and parts buddy told me garnet is much better just wondering any thoughts 

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,516Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Tron78 ; Garnet is basically a cheap version of AO. They work very similar except AO has a much longer life than Garnet. AO is definitely the better of the 2
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Either will work. Both are great. As stated above, the life of AO is said to be better but I have no first hand experience.
  • DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 75Member ✭✭
    I use AO, really is the best if your doing guns.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 973Member ✭✭✭
    I have used both and have stuck with garnet. I find AO to be dirtier and much more expensive. Both will work.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

I have used both and have stuck with garnet. I find AO to be dirtier and much more expensive. Both will work.

@norcalfrank Where were you getting your AO? We had the same issue until we got the AO from a better source. The Harbor Freight stuff is very nasty. And there was another supplier we tried as well. Now it's not bad at all. But I have never used Garnet to compare to. Last order of AO was $0.63 per pound. Skid shipping is $75 flat rate, so I order 500+ lbs at a time to keep price down. How much us garnet usually? I'm always willing to try new things.
    I use Garnet mostly also but I found the opposite. I thought AO was cleaner. It probably does determine from the store
  • Tron78Tron78 Posts: 19Member
    So if I decide to go with garnet on guns and stocks what grit he said 80 but everyone else is saying 100
    I shoot 80 on all my prodjects
    80 or 100 is fine.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 973Member ✭✭✭

@norcalfrank Where were you getting your AO? We had the same issue until we got the AO from a better source. The Harbor Freight stuff is very nasty. And there was another supplier we tried as well. Now it's not bad at all. But I have never used Garnet to compare to. Last order of AO was $0.63 per pound. Skid shipping is $75 flat rate, so I order 500+ lbs at a time to keep price down. How much us garnet usually? I'm always willing to try new things.
    I tried a couple of places for AO, one being HF and yes, it was nasty. The other place was a little better, but not great. Went back to garnet and stayed there. It is aggressive enough for what I have been doing. It may not last for you as much as you do a month. I pay $25/50lbs for garnet. AO here is 60 or 70 bucks for 50lbs.

When I bought a blast cabines, it had a Tacoma kit on it. I called them and they recommended garnet for hydro work. They say it will make your equipment last longer (tips, etc) and is cheaper to use. I don't do volume, so it's not an issue for me.

Very good info! Thanks.

I've been surprised with how the tips have lasted in my new Empire pressure blaster compared to the previous Grizzly blaster. We were using the tungsten carbide tips on the old one and still wore through them. We have had the same boron carbide tip in our Empire since I got it over 2 years ago. It's crazy.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,620Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    how do you know when the tips need to be replaced?
    Ours wore a hole through the side... then through the side of the gun... :lol:

Our new one isn't a problem. It has wore from 3/16" to 1/4" or so. We blast very low pressure, so it's not an issue. The larger hole helps give a larger pattern and speeds up our process. But it uses quite a bit more air, so it can be bad if your compressor is undersized.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,034Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I had a ceramic nozzle on the steel shot blaster at work. Eventually it needed to be replaced after it had been bounced off enough tanks. After 10 years the hole was about 3/4", the new one started out with a 1/4" hole and the walls were almost an inch thick. Incredible how well good ceramic holds up.
  • preedpreed Posts: 376Member ✭✭✭✭
    smedlin said:
    how do you know when the tips need to be replaced?
    The hole in your tip will get bigger and bigger and pressure of the sand coming out will get less and less. If you burn through you will damage your gun.
    I use 2 blasters. 1 120 AO and 1 80 garnet. The go to is AO the garnet is for more aggressive parts. 
  • Diecron_IncDiecron_Inc Posts: 56Member ✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics @Tron78 @smedlin We blast all day everyday in a 30' booth and here is what I have learned over the years. AO and garnet will both do the job great, size of media depends on the profile you are looking for. AO does last much longer but is obviously higher in cost. If you do not have a good reclaim system AO is a waste of money. If you are not filtering the trash/fines out of your media, you risk embedding it in the next guy parts and wearing out your equipment prematurely. 1/16th of inch of wear on a tungsten nozzle is all shes good for. The tungsten is only a 1/16th thick. Once that nozzle begins to open your velocity is greatly reduced, slowing down blast speeds and eating a ton more CFM of air. If you want a wider pattern get a different nozzle. It all about the length. I am not sure what is available for cabinets, but for us we can get 1/4" up to 3/4" nozzle size in various lengths. A 1/4" nozzle needs a 100 CFM of air to work properly. We use 350 CFM for 5/16 and 3/8 nozzles. We use short stubby nozzles, still a 3/8 nozzle size for wide patterns that are less aggressive and we use a 12" long 3/8 nozzle for high velocity, that will eat through 25 mils pretty quick. Our nozzles have 1.25" threads so they are bigger than cabinet nozzles. Most people think reusing media till its dust is saving them money, but many times it slows them down in the long run. Much longer blast times, worn equipment and when you do add new media your profile will change dramatically. If using garnet, you should be adding and subtracting a little all the time. This will keep a good mix of new and used particle size throughout, and keep your profiles uniform. This year garnet has went up in price and there is a shortage due to problems in India where most blast garnet comes from. Our gov. is now involved, so I dont expect a solution anytime soon. Water jet garnet is mined in New York and is ok for now. There are 2 main suppliers of all garnet, Barton Mines, who we buy from, and GMA. Barton is the better of the 2, much less fines, which do not help when blasting. It is just filler to make weight. We pay about .31 a pound for garnet buying 8800-16600lbs at a time. If you can clean it, AO is better in a cabinet as you can get roughly 10 turns before it is shot. Garnet about 3-4 turns. Because of the shortage and price increase,(they called me a month ago to notify us of the shortage, then called back a week later to say there was a 30% increase, go figure...) we have just started testing Starblast, which is mined in Fla. and is similar to garnet, but is much cheaper. Its roughly .18-.19 a pound. It appears to be about 3 turns before it gets pulled by the reclaim. There are several sizes depending on the profile you are looking for. I would think most all of you are looking for a 1 to 1.5 mil profile for Cerakote or hydro. We are usually in the 2 mil range for some specialty powders we shoot. I just lightly sand any blasted part before I dip it.Corrosion Specialties (now APE) in Atlanta carries all kinds of media. 770-938-7263 if anyone needs something. Don't use the Harbor or Northern Tool media, its all garbage....find an industrial supplier in your area if Atlanta is too far, but I believe they have warehouses scattered around..
    Good info @Diecron_Inc! Thank you for that!
  • Diecron_IncDiecron_Inc Posts: 56Member ✭✭
    Anytime @MidOhioHydrographics . Blasting on the surface seems like such a simple process, but I always seem to learn something new... You know the famous line we all hear " All you gotta do is...." I am slapping the next person who tells me that...
    Lol! Definitely. This process is full of that!

We have a Empire Pro Finish pressure Blast Cab, and most of the time we are just very lightly blasting ecoated metal to create a profile for paint (10-12psi). Often times my guys just take the nozzle completely off and just use the 1/2” hose ID. When blasting for Cerakote we up the pressure to 30-40psi w the 3/16” nozzle. Now about 1/4” but we have honestly had that nozzle for over 2 years since we normally blast so low pressure.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,959Administrator El Jefe
    @Diecron_Inc Man that was an informative post and I thank you for the time you took to write that up for us...I learn every day and guys like you that are experts in what you do really make learning a pleasure...