Cowboy hat style hard hats

Gunsmith53Gunsmith53 Posts: 198Member ✭✭
Hey guys. Does anyone have a video on dipping the Cowboy hat style hard hats, including the under side of the brim?

Comments

• Gunsmith53Gunsmith53 Posts: 198Member ✭✭
    I am thinking of buying a few and realing them but, it looks like there are a lot of different angles and different ways to do it.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Gonna have to be 2 dips...we have done a couple...45 degree angle on the top...you get what you get....mask off and redip the bottom...pretty straight forward...
    That is kind of what I thought, 2 dips, especially id tryihng to bet the under side of the brim too.
    I's love to find a video of it though. Just to get the image in my head and see where to start. I hate having to start over on anything.

Gonna have to be 2 dips...we have done a couple...45 degree angle on the top...you get what you get....mask off and redip the bottom...pretty straight forward...

Anyway, thanks Jim

I's love to find a video of it though. Just to get the image in my head and see where to start. I hate having to start over on anything.

Love to I just don't have a cowboy hard hat laying around...
  • LICCLICC Posts: 179Member ✭✭✭
    I am thinking of buying a few and realing them but, it looks like there are a lot of different angles and different ways to do it.
    Not really, there's only gonna be one way to dip that one, like Jim said...45 in with the top, mask dip the bottom. I can't think of another way to dip it. 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Gunsmith53 gotta be real careful modifying safety equipment. Most hard hats and helmets void the warranty when you touch it with solvent... and there is solvent in almost everything we use.

@Gunsmith53 gotta be real careful modifying safety equipment. Most hard hats and helmets void the warranty when you touch it with solvent... and there is solvent in almost everything we use.

Yes, I do understand that. For one thing my son had about 15 of his co-workers that were going to get their Welding helmets Dipped. OSHA didn't care. The new Safety director right out of College wouldn't let them do it. The reason though was, the Company is supplying the welding Hoods and when a employee leaves, they leave the hood too.
    LICC said:

Not really, there's only gonna be one way to dip that one, like Jim said...45 in with the top, mask dip the bottom. I can't think of another way to dip it. 

I agree one best way but, I would bet if I could find video's, there would be more than one way of people doing it. They may not be right, and there may be a one best way but, everybody does things different until they find, aTHE ONE BEST WAY.
    LICC said:

Masking off the bottom of the rim would be a neccesity, and I do thing the 45 degree angle is right. I am still stuck on either rolling or maybe still rolling but, not like we would something perfectly round. I don't know.

LICC said:

Masking off the bottom of the rim would be a neccesity, and I do thing the 45 degree angle is right. I am still stuck on either rolling or maybe still rolling but, not like we would something perfectly round. I don't know.

Once I can afford to order about 5, I'll find out. Too much other stuff to pay right now.

Anyway, thanks Jim
    2 dips if you want the bottom of the Brim dipped? One dip if not?

What about the Waterbased products. I guess since they are HDPE and have to be either Flame treated or chemically treated it would be considered as altering the safety design.

Yes, I do understand that. For one thing my son had about 15 of his co-workers that were going to get their Welding helmets Dipped. OSHA didn't care. The new Safety director right out of College wouldn't let them do it. The reason though was, the Company is supplying the welding Hoods and when a employee leaves, they leave the hood too.
    But, I found out the Welding Hoods are NOT HDPE Plastic and don't have to be treated by flame or chemical. The Cowboy style hared hats are HDPE

Get what you get. I have had to accept that a few times
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    With hardhats as far as I've seen it turns to the company if they will let anything be applied to hardhat. I do work for a company with my full time job that won't even let you apply a sticker to a hardhat. 
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 343Member ✭✭✭
    i just tell most safety guys I purchased the hat like it is and they leave me alone. 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Gunsmith53 Yep, flame treating is a big no-no too, makes them brittle and obviously changes the structure. I just leave them alone.
    Trouble said:

i just tell most safety guys I purchased the hat like it is and they leave me alone. 

He he he...this made my day...
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22
    I just use abs hard hats. no flame treating! easy peasy!!
    @airtimegrafix and ABS hat would be effected by solvent more than any other...
  • Freedom HydrographicsFreedom Hydrographics Posts: 245Member ✭✭✭
    This is my 2 cents....well first, i am asking my hard hat client if i can dip one of their cowboy hard hats, just for **badword** and giggles. They let me do that stuff all the time because its different and always sells. 

Ok, back to the 2 cents on what we do to the hard hats and how it affects them. First off, i won't say anything against what anyone has heard/read/been told, this is just what i did personally. When i first started and had free time, lol, i heard all this stuff about making them brittle and stuff, so i tested this. 

I started off this so i could test the paint and how it holds up. After i heat treated, sanded, primed, painted, dipped, cleared,  I set it in the cab of a truck with a thermometer that read 115 degrees, for a week. Took it out in the heat of the day, threw it up in the air (25ish feet) and it landed on concrete....no damage. I did this 10 times, then threw it at the wall, old tractor, wood beams.....no damage. I repeated this every day for over a month with no cracking, delamination, etc. I went to a work site my friend worked at and asked him to turn it upside down and drop it from the 4th floor. It landed in the broken concrete area where it was jagged, and it did chip the paint, but couldnt use my finger nail to peel any paint off, and no cracks. They dropped a few 2×4s and stuff on it and still no issues. So i understand OSHA rules and everything that everyone had read, but i shot video with my old phone of all this to show my hard hat client and his mind was put at ease to move forward, and we have enjoyed almost 4 years of business together. 
  • Freedom HydrographicsFreedom Hydrographics Posts: 245Member ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, i will shoot a vid of me doing it if i get a quality dip. Ive seen it on youtube but they must have took it down or something. They did it in 1 dip and they spun it, and it looked good.
    @Freedom Hydrographics I won't argue with you one bit that this process does not compromise the integrity of a hard hat, or almost any other safety equipment. And you can do all the testing you want to make your clients feel better... but it doesn't matter. If something happens to someone wearing a hat that you modified, lawyers WILL get involved. And even if what you did had nothing to do with the accident, that is where the investigation will stop. Simple as that

That being said, Have I done it? Yep. Will I do it again? Probably... But I don't talk about it, and I am just trying to make sure the information is out there.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator

@airtimegrafix and ABS hat would be effected by solvent more than any other...

And are not allowed in any chemical plants or refineries so you'd have to know where the customer was going to use them. You can't wear ABS hard hats and have them potentially exposed to acid and such in these environments.