Base coat blistering

So i have a couple of bike parts that are fiberglass. I have worked with fiberglass in the past with no issues. But this go around not so much lol. Degrees and washed with hot soapy water. Let dry then applied big brains Pitch Black about a min in to painting i noticed is started blistering. So i stop left overnight and today i sanded it off got it nice and smooth washed again. A hour or so later started laying the base and it happened again. Can anybody tell me what is goin on

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Fiberglass reacting to the solvent in the paint?...Weird...try sealing it with a primer or clear coat and see what happens...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had a Galaxy Silver from BB that did the same thing on anything I sprayed it on. I tried messing with all the gun settings and different psi and no matter what I did it would look exactly like 
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,046Member ✭✭✭
    Since it is only happening on part of the part, I would say some sort of contamination. Did you wipe down with wax and grease remover or alcohol before painting? Like Jim said, you may have to seal it with primer first.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 539Member ✭✭✭
    Gonna run to carquest in the morning is there any special type of primer to use with this process? Or will any primer work?
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    Any good non aerosol primer surfacer would work. Does it seem to be lifting the paint or primer that was originally on the part or is it just the new basecoat. To me it looks like it is just the basecoat. How was the base mixed? Was there any reducer or hardener put in it? Was it applied in light coats? Did it wrinkle in the same spot both times?
    Did add reducer. I am running some test now on paint without. The more i look at it im thinking it is the old base coat blistering. It was previously painted but never cleared
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nanochem epoxy primer works great
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,399Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Lifting the old base. If I were you, I would ALWAYS base with a water based paint when the substrate is unknown. Then you can switch to whatever you want because you have a layer of protection down first.
  • SkinEDippinSkinEDippin Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    looks like lifting to me, do NOT put on wet coats, try sanding it smooth again then dusting on the basecoat making sure its dry before putting on more base. If it gets too wet it will lift again, a mini jet is a good tool to use now if you have one. The drier the better for this application. If you have primer that could also work but watch out for the base again drier the better when lifting is an issue. Good Luck.
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    This is a good example of why unknown things should be sealed with a primer sealer, traps the old substrate and gives a good ground coat.
    So i tried spraying some of the paint with no reducer added. Started with very light coats. First 2 coats went down fine. 3rd coat started seeing some blistering so i called it a night. Went the next morning to pick up some primer, went i got back to the shop the blistering was gone!!! Looked flat as could be (like its suppose to) crazy. ... but anyway i got everything sanded and primed so now paint and dip