prices on skulls??? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

prices on skulls???

Ha guys. Looking into starting a business dipping skulls for now. Mainly deer and bear skulls but will do other also. Can I ask what you guys are charging to dip a deer skull or a bear skull if already cleaned?? And what you are charging if ya have to clean them before dipping?? Personally, I would rather clean them myself, knowing then they will be cleaned the right way. Anyway, just looking for some ideas as to where to start and what price range to be around??? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,207Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Figure out how long it will take to do the job. Consider the costs of all materials involved. Next, how much your time is worth per hour. Multiply the hourly rate by the hours the job requires. Add in materials plus a profit margin and you have it. Everyone's prices are different because none of these numbers are the same for everyone.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,255Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, lots of variability there. Maybe @TrayersSlayers can help. He does a lot of skull cleaning and dipping.
  • MikeBMikeB Posts: 61Member
    I charge 150.00 to clean and degrease/whiten and 120.00 to dip I use bugs to clean them
  • luzcosprayersluzcosprayers Posts: 15Member
    I boil them off. I like the way they come out and it works really good for me. Nothing against you but I am kinda thinking you are on the high side. I don't feel that I will get a whole lot of business charging that much. It is a pain to clean but 150 is a bit much I think. And 120 to dip is also high I think. I know there is one taxidermist by me that charges 175. to do the whole thing. clean and dip. And he sends them out to be dipped. Just sayin that if you can get that much great for you but I don't think I can ever get that much. But thanks for the input!!!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @luzcosprayers not saying either one of you are wrong. But I know location has ALOT to do with price...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,207Member, Moderator El Moderator

@luzcosprayers not saying either one of you are wrong. But I know location has ALOT to do with price...

Yep. Jim once said he charges like 7 grand to dip a golf cart if I am not mistaken. Our customers laugh at us for asking $1200.
  • luzcosprayersluzcosprayers Posts: 15Member
    ole yote you are exactly right if this was being done in Beverly Hills then I would definitely charge more, but going crazy around here in N.E. Pa. and all your going to do is not get any business!! Heck taxidermist around here are only charging 450 for a shoulder mount. If I can grab up some business from them for a decent price I think I can still do good. Plus I enjoy doing it!!! Just thought I would have gotten more responses on what some guys are getting and go from there.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,255Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Personally, a walk in is $75 for a whitetail Skull coming to me already as a euro mount. I do work for two taxidermists and I give them bulk deals.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,689Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @luzcosprayers you may wanna talk to local butchers that cut up deer/bear. I dipped a deer skull and put a business card holder under it he has it hanging up for me gets a few calls 
  • MikeBMikeB Posts: 61Member

I boil them off. I like the way they come out and it works really good for me. Nothing against you but I am kinda thinking you are on the high side. I don't feel that I will get a whole lot of business charging that much. It is a pain to clean but 150 is a bit much I think. And 120 to dip is also high I think. I know there is one taxidermist by me that charges 175. to do the whole thing. clean and dip. And he sends them out to be dipped. Just sayin that if you can get that much great for you but I don't think I can ever get that much. But thanks for the input!!!

Boiling the skulls just traps the grease inside and destroys some of the bone.If there dipped with the grease in you will have problems down the road.
  • DippenDaveDippenDave Posts: 26Member
    Paint , dip and clear sixty bucks
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,608Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    To just paint dip and clear I'm around 120
    Post edited by DeviousDips on
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,783Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

To just paint dip and clean I'm around 120

same
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @DippenDave I wish you luck in your endeavors, but you are working for free.
  • TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Posts: 231Member ✭✭✭
    @luzcosprayers in my neck of the woods I charge $100 to use beetles on a skulls, 
    $125 to boil clean them
    $125 to macerate them
    Now on the dipping side it's an extra $50 if I was the one who cleaned it. $75 if it came to me cleaned. Sorry @MidOhioHydrographics for the late response. I don't get on here much anymore. Shoot me a text if you need me to respond to a post. 
  • TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Posts: 231Member ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to my pricing page. http://trayersslayerstaxidermyandhydrographics.com/taxidermy-pricing/
    I'm also competing with a low baller in my area. So my pricing is around $25 per item cheaper than I would like it to be.
  • grinnellsskullsgrinnellsskulls Posts: 10Member
    Honestly location has everything to do with your price.  If you live in an area with low income per capita, then your prices need to be lower so they can afford your work.  If prices are not reasonable per capita, you won't get business.
  • grinnellsskullsgrinnellsskulls Posts: 10Member
    Start lower for a few years, get your name out there and then raise.  Loyal customers will stay around but do expect to loose some once you raise your price
  • preedpreed Posts: 380Member ✭✭✭✭
    Moose skulls already cleaned and degreased  200... just got 3 or 4 deer skulls in for the first time... I literally laughed they are so small 100

• LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    We charge 85-120 all depends on the size of the rack
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,137Administrator El Jefe
    Righteous work @preed ...
  • artiemagsartiemags Posts: 26Member
    If I have to clean them I charge $200 for cleaning and dip if they come to
    me already clean I charge $85 dipped