Cold Paint

schidroschidro Posts: 378Member ✭✭✭
I've not had to deal with this yet. My son just started in High School this year & is taking Auto Body Repair and Refinishing. He was messing around & left about 3 quarts of a gallon out & it started to freeze. If it wasn't for the metallic & ton of pearl I'd have trashed it. The whole gallon was $480 dollars so I'd like to save it if possible. 

Comments

• mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 192Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Water borne or Solvent based paint? Not sure if solvent paint can freeze or not. It might harden but not freeze. @WileECoyote ? What do ya think?
  • schidroschidro Posts: 378Member ✭✭✭
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,638Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It's fine, but don't make it a habit. Water based... Might as well toss it.
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 192Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I'd check with the manufacturer of the paint. But my understanding is solvents don't typically freeze. Maybe crystallize or harden but not freeze. I did a basic search on Wikipedia. There is a bunch of info there depending on exactly what type of solvent base paint it is. I.e. oil, urethane, lacquer, etc... If it's water based your toast.
    Thanks @WileECoyote, & @mielkewaygraphics. I'd almost be willing to bet he won't forget again. I thought it was trash. 
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,755Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get it up to 70 and you should be good....
  • winterwinter Posts: 27Member
    Still talkn' about paint, right? ;)
    @onehitwonder, should all my solvent based paints be kept around that temp? I try to keep my garage above 50 this time of year. I drained my tank a few months ago & haven't filled it back up. I'm getting that bug again. I'm going to replace my guns with better & blast the inside of my tank to clean it back up. The g/f says paint in the house even in the basement "stinks" but maybe I'll build a room down there & seal it up good & vent it outside.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,542Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @schidro I don’t know that you should blast it. You’re creating an ideal profile for more junk to bite to. Just use a scotch Brite and denatured alcohol.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,638Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Actually don't use a scotchbrite either. Anything that abrades the stainless makes it easier to stick. I would polish it and nothing will ever stick again.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,542Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We also use a razor scraper. But I run hundreds of meters of film through my tank before we clean about every two weeks.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,961Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually don't use a scotchbrite either. Anything that abrades the stainless makes it easier to stick. I would polish it and nothing will ever stick again.

o.. umm.. o.

I've been using a scotchbrite on mine for almost a year now.
    Well... Good news! You can practice your buffing...
    Yeah me too. We actaully used the really coarse paint stripping ones. LOL. Works great tho! Just recently got the razor blade scraper for the thick crud on the sides and it works really good.
    The inside of our tank was polished from the start, all we ever have is a little crud at the water line and the rest just wipes out with paper toweling. @MidOhioHydrographics if it is mostly calcification on the walls you could try Calcisolve (there are lots of different names but its just an acid, usually red in color). It is a plumbing chemical only available at plumbing supply houses. But trust me, you are gonna need that ventilation system when you use it. Best to do it on the weekend, and then LEAVE the building for an hour or so. when you come back it will be completely clean
    No, it's just gummed up film from a couple weeks' use.
    Ok I guess I need to back up & express that old saying "ask me how I know" my tank is not stainless. It is 12ga aluminum. And you guys probably run more film in a day than I have in 4 years. Well maybe not but you get the idea. From the cost of the material & labor minus my pump I had less than 500 in it to start. After I dipped the interior of my "show" slow truck the aluminum was pitting. Had only used LC activator & the way the guy redesigned my spray bar it was about 6 inches above the water line. Lots o foam. So I had the brilliant idea to take a grinder to it to clean it and give it a profile them shot high build primer. Then shot a gallon of clear on the inside. It's held up great no delamanation flakes or anything other than film stains. If I sanded it off and polished it it would still pit from activator right? Thought about painting it white to make it look better. It's never been more than a hobby simply because people freak when I tell them a price. And that will not feed my kids. 
    Aluminum will pit, yes. The polishing statement is for stainless only. and 316 would be better than 304. Our tank is essentially "food grade" so there are some benefits.
    Many, many, many benefits to have a real or stainless tank. I really can't complain about my tank other than things I've done that shouldn't have be done. It's taken a long time but it's paid for itself. Just the spent time my son's have spent with me in there. My youngest was 9 the first time he dipped. All he did was put the part in the water but he loved it & told everyone. Both my kids and my g/f's 3 plus her all helped me paint my blazer. It was a family thing. 
    @schidro remember that activator eats paint. We have dipped a few things around the tank for fun, and the over spray from our spray bar hits one of them. It's about back to bare steel again. The activator just chewed it up. If you're going to coat the inside of your tank, look into a two part epoxy. I wouldn't use standard paint/clear.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,319Member, Moderator El Moderator

@schidro remember that activator eats paint. We have dipped a few things around the tank for fun, and the over spray from our spray bar hits one of them. It's about back to bare steel again. The activator just chewed it up. If you're going to coat the inside of your tank, look into a two part epoxy. I wouldn't use standard paint/clear.

I had a local body shop guy come in and asked me to dip his favorite paint gun. I explained what the dip was and still had to tell him it would wipe off as soon as he cleaned his gun.
    @MidOhioHydrographics I used clear a few years ago, it's held up over time. I just don't dip that much so maybe that's why. My original plan was to use a pool paint or epoxy. Maybe I'll go that route next time.