Plastic Jug -vs- Metal Can — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plastic Jug -vs- Metal Can

mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 176Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
edited January 13 in Hydro Solutions
Ok guys, what do you like better ? for paint, in pints, quarts and gallons.
The plastic jug --VS-- The metal can
AND GO !

Comments

• mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 176Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    smedlin said:

For????

Milk? Plastic Jug

Paint? Metal Can.

Margaritas? 5-Gallon Drums

That was funny, I fixed it. Thx.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,585Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13
    Cans for paint. Be hard to put the jugs on paint shakers or the dedoes to mix it up 
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 692Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Gallons - Metal
    Pints and quarts - Plastic
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @mielkewaygraphics Uline sells the jugs we used to ship paint in. They were plastic wide mouth, so you could stir with a stick (once you break the factory sealed on a paint can, you should never shake it again). They were squared jugs with round corners so they used the space in your storage cabinet more efficiently, and they stacked easy for the same reason. They poured out easier than a metal can, and you could just wipe the lip and screw down the cover and not worry if they would ever open again.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

(once you break the factory sealed on a paint can, you should never shake it again).

That's new to me. Why is that?

(really love your knowledge btw. You Jim and Joe)

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I had no idea about that either....
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,320Member ✭✭✭✭
    Curious too as paint stores do it all the time after they make you a specialty color
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Ok, let me qualify this. It depends on the shaker. Because an opened container is more likely to open again in the shaker and turn the inside of it a wonderful new color... A typical Red Devil shaker that moves up and down with a clamp that seats fully on the top is fine when you use metal containers if you only do one at a time. The problem is, people try to save time and stick more than one container in and the clamp doesn't seat on both containers with the same pressure, so one slips out and gets opened up inside.

Metallics HATE shaker style mixing, it is almost impossible to get a metallic to shake correctly without opening and stirring (I did tests with about 8 styles of mixers and the best one had to shake for 30 minutes to be right) 5 gallon "metal tab" containers with reike spouts can be shaken multiple times, but after you open the tabs to get the metallic lifted, you NEVER get them on good enough. (Even with a clamp designed for it, and a 250# guy sitting on it to compress the gasket)

Getting paints completely stirred is necessary or your paint (more so metallics) will change color as you use the container, because it starts out thinner. In addition heavy metallics (like Prime Coatings' SR013) outgas when being shaken. This causes pressure in the can and will spray like a punctured aerosol if it finds a hole. 

So since no one puts that much effort into understanding which paints they are putting on, and how well they sealed the container, and if the paint is a heavy metallic, and how long their cycle is... (Except me apparently because I was being paid too) it's just bad practice. 

Get yourself a small air powered mixer that you can mount right on your table and you will be fine. We used 2 and we're never waiting on paint, plus you can take viscosity measurements while it's spinning and make adjustments if necessary. And with the jugs I mentioned earlier, we could stir those with a stick because of the large opening, or put them directly under the mixer.
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 176Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    for mixing quart and gallon cans
    I use one of these. I take off the handle and use a cordless drill . I usually use it for a couple minutes at a time.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,585Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's what I use also. Those work great
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have those on all my gallon cans and half my quarts.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,081Administrator El Jefe
    Metal...