New dipper in San Antonio

OIIIOOIIIO Posts: 1Member
Actually haven't dipped yet. Need to find a cheap way to build a tank... excited about learning the process.

Comments

• NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 677Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. You can use the search to find the answers to most of your questions.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,847Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy and Welcome to the forums!

The wife and I will actually be in San Antonio Tue...small world.

I would advise going to training before you try this.. it's not like youtube makes it out to be.

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,357Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome!
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,325Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!!
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 846Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,277Administrator El Jefe
    Cheap and this trade do not go together...but welcome to the forum!...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,734Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,717Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forum
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,324Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome
  • schidroschidro Posts: 368Member ✭✭✭
    Welcome, and trying to find a cheap way to build a tank will probably end up costing more than a used tank. I know this because I tried. I used a tote to see if I thought I was going to be able to do it. Then I tried to make a smaller sized tank. Then I built a tank out of a chest freezer. Lost of time & fiberglass. I ended up having one built. Material & labor were right at 500. I've had it for 4 years now. I've made a couple of changes & I would bet if I had bought a real tank to begin with I would have saved money. I agree with @smedlin, get some training to see if you want to do it. I did not get training to start but had to stick with it because I was in to deep to walk away. Now that everything is paid for, I dip when I want & what I want.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,324Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @schidro That may be the best summary I have heard. If only the people that read this would believe it...
    All depends on what this person can do. I'm a fabricator and could build a tank without a control panel for a few hundred bucks. 
    @DeviousDips I was a fabricator for years, and an electrician... we built our tank. It was a few hundred bucks. But if you add up all the time I did planning, and fabricating, and tweeking, and wiring... It took myself and 2 other guys about 3 weeks of nights to get everything the way we wanted it. I would have been better off using that time learning more about the process, and I had already been painting for 10 years and had paint and chemical hookups most guys could only dream about...

Part of it for me was the fun of building it, but our enthusiasm would have better served in training
    @WileECoyote but you guys also built basically a professional tank. I'm not saying it's the thing to do. And I agree if your trying to do things cheap hydrographics isnt for you because there is nothing cheap about it.
    I also agree with getting training first to see if it is something for you. There is alot of factors that go into this process and just because it looks cool doesn't mean it's for everyone. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,847Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

just because it looks cool doesn't mean it's for everyone. 

i said the same thing about Jim's Mom.