How much to spray? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much to spray?

SpinnerSpinner Posts: 91Member ✭✭✭
I made up my first 2 30oz Tumblers today and am curious how much clear you guys spray on them...if it's even quantifiable.

These were the only two items I cleared today, so I mixed 2 oz of OHW ending up with 2 1/2 oz of material to spray. The gun is an ANI mini with a 1.2 tip. So, I dumped all of it onto the 2 tumblers... 1 1/4oz on each.

Is this in the neighborhood of what you guys are laying down? The finish looks heavier, or deeper, than what I normally do. But I don't know what is standard or acceptable in the trade.

There is a vinyl stencil that was painted over then removed, and I can still feel a depression where the stencil was even though I thought I hit that area extra. Is this something ya'll try to "fill in."

Thanks!

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,142Member ✭✭✭✭
    On tumblers I don't worry about filling it in. I do 2 good coats on my tumblers and out the door they go. Unless I'm doing flake or candy then I go a bit more. 
    Never sprayed just a couple tho to measure the amount on each one
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,664Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Whatever hangs on is good enough. You want to build JUST enough to right before it runs on to the floor... 
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 839Member ✭✭✭
    I use an HS clear, so I do the grip and rip technique. One quick coat to close the base in, then right away one medium heavy coat. On stuff I'm doing for myself, I put a couple of extra coats on.

I have never measured how much I put on tumblers, but on matte clear, I know I mix up about 20-25 grams for a rifle stock, again using one light closing coat, then one medium heavy coat so it doens't build.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,664Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Build thickness for typical clear is somewhere between .8 and 1.5 mil per coat. Spray one coat and let it cure, then spray another. I don't understand these "dust coats" or "feathering it on"
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,197Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Spinner - check out some of your local stores and buy yourself a couple of these: http://www.cookstore.ca/chef-n-measureup-beaker-set-108886268.html?mkwid=sR3qhVpNq&pcrid=91570706593&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXGXACxSlX1EI0cOgQZSK03GbzzTXNAOXqhA2loZas9K9CMFCzwlwNEaAmK9EALw_wcB

They allow you to mix smaller portions and waist less, especially using that ANI Mini (same one I use) Start keeping track of how much you mix for each items you spray and eventually you can just look back at your notes and determine how much you need for the item you are about to spray
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 91Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks,everyone for the input.

It's tough having no hands-on experience, training, or mentoring when it comes to ambiguous things like laying down "just enough" clear. Over time, I'm sure I will come to trust the way and amount I am laying down.

@WileECoyote thanks for the specs. Not sure how to measure that on an item, but I believe what I have done is more than 1.5 mils. I guess when I put too much it will run, then I'll know. :)

But I also need to know for pricing the work. X amount of clear finishes X amount of parts, would be part of the costs formula. I'll run a few sets several times to see if I can come to some good guess.

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,138Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I lay down two coats of "just enough so it looks 'wet' and not have any dry spots or orange peel".
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 839Member ✭✭✭

Build thickness for typical clear is somewhere between .8 and 1.5 mil per coat. Spray one coat and let it cure, then spray another. I don't understand these "dust coats" or "feathering it on"

Dust coat? never heard that term. With HS clear, lots of automotive painters will use a tack coat, to close off the base coat, then a medium wet coat or two to finish.
    @norcalfrank I guess it is called that because they are just "dusting" it on. Who knows... I have seen some terrible painting techniques in my life. Guys looking like they are having a seizure in the booth with as much as they jerk around, or 40 to 50 trigger pulls on a motorcycle front fender.
  • SkinEDippinSkinEDippin Posts: 41Member
    Ive never put down a tack coat in my life of clear coat, I put down an effect coat of basecoat for my last coat of base to make sure the metallics lay out nice, but for clear coat I put on two medium wet coats the second coat a little heavier then the first, spray it the way you want it to look, if its a high end something or got dirtier then I wanted then could put on a third coat, but usually 2 coats of clear is good and has the mil thickness you need. Make sure the clear is sticky to the touch before the second coat (of course touch some taped edge not the panel itself) I've been painting since the mid 90's. But then again there's more then one way to skin a cat!
    As always, try to do it like the guys who know how do. If you put light coats on, you aren't getting any coverage or build. So your second coat can have light spots because your first coat was too thin. (The point of two coats is to reduce the chance you missed an area, along with building thick enough to scuff and buff) burn through your clear one time on a metallic and you are gonna learn the value of good clear practice.