Dipping on chrome

PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 574Member ✭✭✭
edited January 9 in Before and After
Guys out here in nc are loving this. Ohw intercoat and dipping straight to chrome

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 574Member ✭✭✭
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Not trying to be a downer, but did you do some thorough adhesion testing? Chrome does not normally accept a chemical bond well... if at all... Maybe @onehitwonder can confirm if this will hold up. If so? I am super interested in trying it!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Looks very nice, by the way!
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,917Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it really works, just take my money now

@MidOhioHydrographics oh man don't say that. Hopefully ohw has good news. The one in pic is a show piece i use dont really want to cut and test but i will if ohw doesn't know. If not then luckily i have only done 2 for customers and i will contact them amd replace if necessary. Definitely dont need any bad reviews .i also did a friends ill see how long it last before i replace his lol
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,707Member ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't have luck dipping to straight chrome.  Not without a scuff using ohw intercoat. I had to give it a light scuff with gray scotch Brite. 
    Maybe I didn't clean good enuff or maybe something else but mine didn't pass a normal tape test. 
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 222Member ✭✭✭
    @PagesHydroDipping , probably not a good idea to reinvent the wheel if you don't do some research and testing. Don't get me wrong, that looks great, but don't do things that may not work if they do not last. Best way to be out of business!
    I would have made some calls @onehitwonder and done some tests. Think of chrome as something extremely hard that not many chemicals soften and think of paint as something that needs to soften or "bite to" the substrate.

So grab some tape and a blade, cut that Show piece up and see if it works, if it works great, if not, lesson learned. At the end of the day it is a small piece that is easily redone.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,763Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive done it but had to scuff the chrome first so it looked like brushed aluminium then ohw intercoat clear 

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,529Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep... you gotta scuff to chrome. and if you are using innercoat, then you aren't dipping straight to chrome, you are dipping to the innercoat. There isnt an adhesion promoter in the world that bites to chrome or glass. You guys have to realize, that adhesion promoter is essentially solvent... it only works on things that can be softened by solvent... its not magic.

And ANY time you are doing something new, or experimenting, you BETTER test, test, and test... And that includes scratch tests that ruin the piece you just dipped. Or your company name is going to be associated with crap work that peals after 6 months. Get those pieces back BEFORE they see a problem.
    I will definitely be replacing them and giving them refund . I will make it right they are friends of friends so it will be ok.im glad i posted that pic before doing anymore. And i will definitely be doing more testing. I feeling pretty dumb about it now.

Yep... you gotta scuff to chrome. and if you are using innercoat, then you aren't dipping straight to chrome, you are dipping to the innercoat. There isnt an adhesion promoter in the world that bites to chrome or glass.

Weeeellll.... OB Obremski down in Florida (who my former employee Travis now works for) is doing about a bajillion glass perfume bottles (think they have to coat around 10,000 a day to meet their deadline...) and has a system that hangs great. All sprayed on. No scuffing/profiling needed. It's some sort of good degreasing process then some sort of new, great AP type application. I don't know all the details, and if I were him I wouldn't tell anyone! LOL. He's got a good gig.

I will definitely be replacing them and giving them refund . I will make it right they are friends of friends so it will be ok.im glad i posted that pic before doing anymore. And i will definitely be doing more testing. I feeling pretty dumb about it now.

Don't beat yourself up. Just do some tests! Or if they're friends, give them a refund/partial refund and let them know they're now test subjects and what you did technically is not supposed to work or hold up. Just be honest, and it'll go a long way for your reputation. If anything starts to happen, let you know ASAP and you will redo it to their liking. It may last years. It may last a few weeks. Who knows. But I would guess if a rock dings it, you're going to get some delamination.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,529Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics I am gonna say there are probably systems out there that work, but they are not available to your average garage dipper. For the most part, what is available at a cost that would not make you lose your lunch, is not going to make something stick to a substrate that isn't designed too accept coating.

@PagesHydroDipping you are going to do more testing than you ever thought would be included in this process when you were dreaming about going out on your own. But keep in mind, if someone says "I wish you could dip to (something)" you can tell them, "I CAN dip to it... but it might not last more than a week". you would be AMAZED at the number of people that just want something cool to show off for a little bit.
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,334Member ✭✭✭✭
    Does look cool though, keep us posted on your tests and what you find out
    Ok so the one i had at shop was done in vegas baby. Looks awesome almost has a black chrome look
    So i started cutting and put a piece of packing tape on, ripped it off and nothing. Dont really think the packing was sticky enough so i turned around and grabbed some gorilla tape and

• versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 222Member ✭✭✭
    Exactly what I thought was going to happen. Now just imagine a small chip and road debris, water, etc. getting under that. It is just not bonding to the chrome and won't unless the shine of the chrome is gone(and it still might fail).
    There are some really good silvers that look almost chrome-like. We have one in our diamont paint line and works well.
    Yep, that's what I expected. But that is also not a true adhesion test either, but better than nothing. A real test makes about 4 vertical cuts about 3/16" apart, and 4 horizontal cuts about 3/16" apart, making a checkerboard pattern. Use a single edge razorblade without tipping but using enough pressure to cut through all layers. Look around here, I posted some standards about this a while back. Glad you got a result either way though, it will solve alot of worrying.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,440Administrator El Jefe
    Peeps been trying to dip to chrome since before I got involved in this...WAY back in 2006...

Ain't gonna happen...

Next is the "chrome film" myth...

See above answer...
  • mks717mks717 Posts: 15Member
    That's pretty cool I think that's going to be my next thing to get that super Chrome
  • 2RHydrographics2RHydrographics Posts: 38Member
    @PagesHydroDipping, if you didn't scuff the ones you did for your clients you should be able to strip them back down to chrome without damage. It will at least save you $'s on buying new parts.