Film stretching when spraying activator

ShannonShannon Posts: 178Member ✭✭✭
Hi guys, I have noticed that with some films, mainly some carbon fibres. That when I spray the activator it is moving or stretching the film on the water before I even attempt to dip the item. I have not noticed this happening to other films.

I’m using a 1.8 tip and 10 psi pressure.

should I reduce my pressure more? Is it possible my technique or are some films just a little prone to it. I’ve tried dropping the pressure to 6 psi and trying to make sure I spray straight down and not on an angle but it still seems to happen with some carbon fibre films.

Comments

• midnight_dippermidnight_dipper Posts: 63Member ✭✭
    If you have your dams pulled in tight, (or have the edges taped) and your spraying straight down at 6 psi, the only other thing I can think of is you may be a little too close to it when spraying.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,258Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Don't worry about it. "Real" carbon fiber isn't perfectly straight, either.

Sounds like you are spraying too close to the film or your dams aren't pushed in enough to hold the film.
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 178Member ✭✭✭
    @midnight_dipper and @NotSoFast thanks for your suggestions. I might be to close as I do place my dams tight and tape two sides. I’ll make sure I hold the gun further from the film next time, was finding it very frustrating as it wasn’t happening to any other films.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,258Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Shannon said:

@midnight_dipper and @NotSoFast thanks for your suggestions. I might be to close as I do place my dams tight and tape two sides. I’ll make sure I hold the gun further from the film next time, was finding it very frustrating as it wasn’t happening to any other films.

It may happen with others, but a lack of consistently straight lines hides it better.

Also, there is very little ink in carbon fiber film. Small areas of ink and lots of areas with none, so these islands of ink are not actually touching anything and are easily moved around. As compared to camo or other popular films that are 90%+ ink.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uneven activation- try and lay a super even layer of activator, wait 20 secs, then dip. We recommend a 1.3 tip, btw
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 178Member ✭✭✭
    @onehitwonder thanks I will try that out too