Fixative. -Does it need spray-gun? -Does it ship to Europe? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fixative. -Does it need spray-gun? -Does it ship to Europe?

OrreOrre Posts: 11Member
Hi all!

Totally newbie! so please advice if you find this to be a silly approach...

I'd love to test out printing and applying my own design and pictures. (I'm talking A4-A3 sheets here) But the availability of PVA and Fixative where I live is non existing.. Actually in all Europe there seem to be very limited offers!?
(None of the sponsors here what I can tell? -correct me if I'm wrong!)

I believe it might be a problem getting chemicals through custom to Europe (Norway)?, and the European (EEA) based suppliers I have found doesn't supply Fixative by aerosol can... And I am thinking, those small amounts I would need for to do one-and-one A4 sheet, would be quite impractically to handle with a paint-gun!...

So my question is, is it possible to apply Fixative e.g. by spray bottle?

Of course I will also by printed film from you guys that know what you are doing! ;) And there will always be need for activator, so it seem more natural to do that with a spray-gun.

Another question in the same lane is about ordering custom film.
@studebaker You're obviously a fantastic resource at this community! -Thank you for all your answers in here! And also seem to be THE guy to ask to print from file! But at your web-site I found that you do not ship outside US? Does this also apply film (no chemicals)?

Of course I might be overcomplicating this... :tongue:
Maybe you could enlighten me about products that ship to Norway?

Thank You!
/Jan Orre B)

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,712Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fractalcamo.com website, is now owned by Jonathon Blakely, not me, He has difficulty shipping anything out of the US. Just because US Customs loves to punish shippers and receivers... It's a fact of life that we must work with. When they hold almost everything for at least three days in some obscure location and it makes the shipper look bad. When an order is 2 hours later than the buyer is expecting it, guess who gets the blame....

As far as Fixative goes, you can just use a LIGHT coat of clear lacquer paint from a rattle can for your fixative. Dip you object WITHIN 15 minutes of applying a LIGHT coat.

It won't work if you let it dry overnight... Did I mention to apply a LIGHT coat? :-)

Buy your A3/A4 PVA sheets from Alibaba, they will ship anywhere!

The only thing I do anymore that is related to hydrographics is sell seamless patterns on my website at PatternCrew.com

After a short hiatus, Hugas LTD Hydrographics in Europe is back in business with a new website abcustomcoatings.com He does custom film printing and sells the supplies for it also. They may be of some help to you.

• OrreOrre Posts: 11Member
    @studebaker Ok. Thanks a million for the info! That does make things quite a bit easier!
    (I've seen you have done a lot of research in the subject, but didn't dare to ask...) ;)
    And yes, I have seen your do seamless patterns at the speed of light! Really impressive!!

When we're at the subject of PVA film, I haven't seen sellers advertise thickness... Is there anything ells to look out for when it comes to quality and usability?

I did check out the abcustomcoatings thank you very much. They advertise 100cm. custom prints! -And some special interests... :tongue:
    (Anyone knows if their 1k "HH chrome" is up to standard btw.?)

Yes I know about the US-shipping... It has made me more or less stop buying from US if I can avoid... -Been waiting up to 4 month for a parcel!!... (and at the other hand 3 days from inland China to my mailbox! -explain THAT if you can!!) :open_mouth:
    Actually has worked more flawlessly using a proxy mail service!
    (If of anyone's interest, my favourite is "Stackry", that consolidates, remove original packaging and let me set the value!) ;)

Thank you for your time and fast answer!
    /Jan Orre
    edited January 7
    AB Custom coatings also supply"Next generation" blank PVA film with no need for fixative called RFU! what ever that stands for?...
    Does need pigment printer though!..
    All prints need pigment ink! I sincerely hope your printer uses pigment ink....

ALL Paper backed PVA film comes from the same factory in China. Just different vendors distribute it. That factory only produces 30-micron film. Other thicknesses won't be necessary. 40 and 60 micron film is for heavy production work on automated machinery.

PVA film without the paper backing won't transport through your printer. You can always buy some of that RFU film from Hugas and let us know your opinion.

Ha-ha-ha..... I had no idea! I'm sorry you have to deal with people like me!... :get_outta_here:

Thanks for the reassuring film info!
    Haven't seen that RFU film before. Do you know what the letters stand for? Is it possible to store? Or what's the gain except the obvious no need for fixative?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,138Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Orre said:

Ha-ha-ha..... I had no idea! I'm sorry you have to deal with people like me!... :get_outta_here:

Thanks for the reassuring film info!
    Haven't seen that RFU film before. Do you know what the letters stand for? Is it possible to store? Or what's the gain except the obvious no need for fixative?
    And people wonder why EVERYONE doesn't print their own films. ;)
    Actually, I do wonder why everyone isn't printing their own film... It's much easier nowadays. A desktop printer that uses pigment ink, a rattle can of clear lacquer paint, sheets of film ordered off the internet. How hard can it be? You've got the rest of the process down pat already...
    @NotSoFast -They just ask the wrong questions. Or maybe more common, doesn't ask at all... ;)

As always there are probably quite a portion craftsmanship involved though...
    But my opinion have always been -If someone else can, why not me?...
    And why complicate things?...

Got a cheap "Epson Stylus Pro 3800" at hand. I guess that should do the trick for now. :)
    edited January 8
    Ps. @NotSoFast Off course this depends on nice knowledgeable people willing to answer your questions! ;)
    Post edited by Orre on