Film coming apart at the end of the dip — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Film coming apart at the end of the dip

We're practicing dipping one of our own wood gun stocks and have had some trouble getting the film to hold together over the last little section of the dip as it's going under the water. We did a stock a while back with a different film without any issue, but this film seems to be less "stretchy". We dipped it fairly slowly. Possibly underactivated?

OHW Paint - 2 day cure
Hydrogator
90 deg water
60 sec soak, two passes, 1.8 tip Air Gunsa
15 sec dwell time
Big Brain Mossy Oak Bottomland

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    Yes and no...It may be underactivated because I do not know what the film should look like? I do know SuperBrew seems to work best for those films...that being said? Water is beating you and creating those voids...you need to back tape where the blue arrows are...

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,166Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep, and when you roll over that corner, you have to stop your forward movement and just flip the part over the film. You are pushing the part at the same rate the whole way, and when you get to the edge, you just break the film apart and void out.

If you want practice to see what you should be doing, roll it on a table, and don't slide. You are going to see your speed change on your roll and your push at different times. It's not easy, but it will be quite obvious when you get your head around the process.
  • CrossLincCrossLinc Posts: 36Member
    Thanks for the assistance guys! We finished up the gun and it turned out amazing! Finished it off with a Cerakote Matte Clear. Have a couple of more pieces we did as well. I'll post pics once I get some better shots.

Took our first hydrodipped parts to a gun show this last weekend and had a great response.