Possible new product

georgeggeorgeg Posts: 3Member
I can formulate a coating that you apply either by dipping, spraying or with a pre-saturated cloth in order to prime a plastic part for hydro dipping, it will increase adhesion and ease of dipping. It can work for metals as well or other materials. If you're interested reply here, the ingredients are economical, we can work out branding if you like. The plastic part will be ready for dipping after the coating has been applied, no further primer coats are needed. Reply to [email protected] if you're interested.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Sounds interesting. The application would be very similar to OHW's "intercoat" clear which serves the same purpose. Do you have any photos or videos of it in action?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,440Administrator El Jefe
    SuperGlue...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,529Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Actually it doesn't sound like a "coating", more like adhesion promoter... Correct?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,440Administrator El Jefe

Actually it doesn't sound like a "coating", more like adhesion promoter... Correct?

Like I said...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,529Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @K2Concepts I was trying to get some more information out of @georgeg, and maybe clarify a little for the kids at home...
  • georgeggeorgeg Posts: 3Member
    edited January 13
    Hi comrades thanks for the replies, I want to clarify that I'm still working on this formula, an adhesion promoter would be a polymer that melts with the "activator" solvent and plasticizer, some polymers people use are functionalized polyefins like chlorinated propylene, acrylate or pvc polymers but the adhesion is not so great, the kind of thing I was talking about is an atomic monolayer. Superglue will not work because it polymerizes in air. The main difference for the new product I was talking about it that you apply it with a rag, you don't need to spray paint it on the part but you can if you want to. I guess the intercoat you say is an acrylic resin, it works by interdiffusion of polymers.

From my experience the biggest problem with hydrodipping is with crates after the PVA film is washed off the painted part, this is due to adhesion failure and solvent entrapment.

An option would be to spray activator on the part you are going to dip as well as the film but then you would trap a lot of solvent between the ink and the part that can't evaporate fast enough through the pva layer of the film.
    Post edited by georgeg on
  • dirtbagdavdirtbagdav Posts: 108Member ✭✭
     :o 
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 179Member ✭✭✭
    That is the typical conversational style of my 18 yo son... Georgeg's, not the old lady. LOL
  • georgeggeorgeg Posts: 3Member
    Do you buy OHW intercoat or is it completely optional for you?
    @georgeg the innercoat is only necessary of you want to dip while retaining the look of the product below, AND need the long dip window. Clear is essentially the same product, but usually that is 2k and has an 8-12 hour dip window.
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,334Member ✭✭✭✭
    So @georgeg, this product you're talking about making, would it eliminate the need to flame treat certain plastics?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    georgeg said:

Do you buy OHW intercoat or is it completely optional for you?

I only use when I need it, which is rare. Much more often (as in thousands of parts per week) we are spraying NanoChem adhesion promoter followed by Aqualac paint on polypropylene parts. Works very well.