Exhaust hood install....finally

OverCoatsOverCoats Posts: 354Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Members Projects

Spent the last few days rearranging the shop and installed a new exhaust hood finally. My lungs are going to be so happy again. Still have a couple things left to do but water is going back in the tank
Post edited by OverCoats on

Comments

• DallenDallen Posts: 1,731Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    that's cool
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,437Administrator El Jefe
    AND smart...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,528Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You are going to be VERY happy with that set-up
  • OverCoatsOverCoats Posts: 354Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I kind of wish I had dropped it down a bit further but I think I can put a curtain on it and get the same result. Anyone have experience with this?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,468Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yes! Definitely drop a curtain. Go all the way to the floor (or at least past the top of the tank) on the sides and back. Leave the front high enough to walk through and get large parts under. But enclose it best you can and it will be much more efficient.

@MidOhioHydrographics Thanks Joe. I was trying my best to remember what your set up looked like and I was actually going to call you about it. Thanks for the pic! That's exactly what i'll do. Are they 8" strips or does that really matter?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,468Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited January 3
    Don’t think it matters. Just able to be moved through if necessary and overlap enough to “seal”
    We just got "clear curtains" from McMaster-Carr...I don't think it matters as long as you can create a "plenum"...

@K2Concepts. Makes sense to me. My hood is smaller than my tank. Hope I’m not overthinking this but I’m thinking about a 2x4 or 2x6 simple frame to out line the tank (attached to frame around the hood) and hang the curtain from that and maybe sheet metal to close the gap on each side of the hood to create the plenum flue. Thoughts?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,528Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Same concept at the paint booth. Take the open area of your curtain and divide the fan cfm by that number. That will tell you how much linear ft/min of air you will have going over that spot. You are going to have to play with it a bit to know what is optimal, but I am guessing about 60 ft/min is going to be what you shoot for. And if you have to work that backwards, that will tell you what open area you have to limit yourself too, to make what you have work.
    @WileECoyote you are a wiz at this stuff. Thanks for your insight. I don't think I can get to that number, but I can make it manageable and much better than before for sure!
    OverCoats said:

@K2Concepts. Makes sense to me. My hood is smaller than my tank. Hope I’m not overthinking this but I’m thinking about a 2x4 or 2x6 simple frame to out line the tank (attached to frame around the hood) and hang the curtain from that and maybe sheet metal to close the gap on each side of the hood to create the plenum flue. Thoughts?

That should work...I just built mine out of PVC because I was not sure how wood (or any other material) would hold up being soaked by activator...I also did not want my inspector to flag me for a plenum that would need a sprinkler system...so I just used plastic tarp instead...
  • midnight_dippermidnight_dipper Posts: 63Member ✭✭
    Do you still need an exhaust system if you use a pressure pot activation system? They don't fog up like the regular spray guns do they? I'm still trying to figure out which would be best in the long run.

Do you still need an exhaust system if you use a pressure pot activation system? They don't fog up like the regular spray guns do they? I'm still trying to figure out which would be best in the long run.

@midnight_dipper Bottom line is that even the pressure pot is spraying the same chemicals that are NOT good for your health. Albeit it might not throw out as much of a vapor cloud, it is still there. If you aren't wearing a mask or have some sort of good ventilation, you are basically taking a huge chance with your long term health. IMO
    The "pressure pot" name is misleading, almost any of the old 2 quart suction guns are called pressure pots. What I think you mean is a nozzle that is not air assist in atomization. Basically like an airless sprayer, high pressure fluid with little to no cloud.

That system for sure wastes less activator as more of it goes on to the part, rather than the air... But that's not none. although I would say that it could use much less of a fan to exhaust, you should still have a little. But that will save the heat/ac in the shop if you aren't sucking it all out the fan.
    Since we changed from HVLP type to the airless type our system absolutely produces less vapor. Our carbon filtered exhaust actually works like it’s supposed to now. Before it would suck all the vapor up and it would eventually start dripping inside the filter box, saturate all the pleated pre-filters and clog up the carbon before it could be much good at all. Now there is no vapor being sucked up, but there are still fumes.

I would still have a hood or wear a mask.
    Ok.....Riddle me this. Ever since this hood install, I’m the king of over activation. Anyone with a hood have this issue? That’s the only common denominator. Same GPI gun, same activator, same speed. Blah blah blah. If I don’t use the hood, all is well again it seems. I can adjust for sure just looking for the science behind it
    I can’t think of any reason that should make a difference. Very strange.
    edited February 6
    @MidOhioHydrographics I agree. It has to be me. Maybe I’m holding just slightly lower. Only thing I can come up with. It is very strange
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 709Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    When you think about it, it makes perfect sense..., Life in the "hood" always has more "activity".

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense..., Life in the "hood" always has more "activity".