50/50 dip. First timer

norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,046Member ✭✭✭
I decided to try a couple of rifle stocks this way. First because the shape of them needed it, and second, going straight in hasn't worked for me, and rolling has its problems too, although I have been rolling most of the stocks as of late.

While I haven't dipped 50/50 yet, I'm sure not liking the extra work with all of the masking. I did try 50/50 dipping half, letting the PVA dry, then dipping the other half. Had a real hard time getting the first part of the dip off, so don't want to do it that way either.

Any suggestions to make things easier?

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    You either roll of 50/50.when doin 50/50 we dip one side rinse dry then retape and dip the other side. Doing a 50/50 is definitely more time consuming but thats really your only options. I've never dipped a stock straight down i have seen many others who do but i could just imagine the stretch you would get.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    No “easy” way. Just two dips. Use Glad Press N Seal to mask the bulk. I use 1/2” tape on the line and press n seal over the rest if I’m doing 50/50
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,046Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I broke out the press and seal first, but couldn't get it to stick. Gave up and used paper and tape...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah remember you’re just stopping the dip from wrapping back over the first dip. Doesn’t have to stick perfect. Just be diligent Along the seam, and slop together the rest.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

I broke out the press and seal first, but couldn't get it to stick. Gave up and used paper and tape...

Press and seal won't stick by itself. You still have to tape down the edges.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,651Member ✭✭✭✭
    Also don't tape right on the line after the 1st dip. Tape back about a 1/16 inch so your seam don't have voids or mess up. Doesn't take much just don't tape right on the seam. That's just my preference 
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 167Member ✭✭✭
    @LLIC,
    That's one of the coolest names and logo's I've seen.
  • LICCLICC Posts: 179Member ✭✭✭
    Spinner said:
    @LLIC, That's one of the coolest names and logo's I've seen.
    Thanks man. I hired an artist to design it for me. 
  • SaguaroSaguaro Posts: 31Member
    So would you start on the bolt side or the side with the bulge on the stock when you roll?