Texture on panel — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Texture on panel

I have tried to do a search on this topic. My question is. Does a part having the small texture on it affects the dipping and cause any problems. I had read that you can use a 2k filler primer and then sand it down and then you can use OHW with no problems. The issue I have with that is the piece that I am doing is really thin and flexes a lot and I believe that it might be to much flex for the primer. Or am I just a crazy new guy worried about every little thing. 

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,942Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooler lids have a texture... And they dip just fine! Chances are you are overthinking this one. :-)
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, the cooler lids that have the "dimple" textures, those should be sanded down some, and filled in with primer (or something).
  • PMFMISSOURIPMFMISSOURI Posts: 33Member
    Thanks for the advice. @studebaker are you the one behind fractalcamo? 
    I was behind Fractal Camo... I sold it to Jonathon. He's a Fantastic Guy that will bend over backwards to make customers happy. All I do now is make the patterns for custom hydrographic printers to print for you.

Thank you for asking!
    No sanding, no filler... Just flame treating... Voila!

• PMFMISSOURIPMFMISSOURI Posts: 33Member
    Yes he is. I read somewhere on here that it was you but it must have been an old post. It's the only place that I have found that does Military films. It's taken about 3 rolls to get it down, but I'm learning. Thanks again for the advice and the passing of knowledge. Hope you have a happy and safe new year.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,582Member ✭✭✭✭
    I personally sand most of my textured stuff down. Main reason is when you are finished and clear it , it looks as if you have horrible orange peel. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The first time I dipped this, it turned out bad because of all the dimples in it. Although it was a good dip, it rubbed off the top of the dimples really easy.

I sanded them down some, and added more primer to level things out.. made it better.

And you can see areas that LOOK like orange peel, just like @DeviousDips dips said.