What functions are on your control panels?

Thinking of making the first investment towards a better tank set up. I am running completely manual as of right now. Bucket heater, cell phone timer and a switch on my pump. My tank is working as of now but it's time to invest in a bettet step up. I am thinking on installing some elements in this tank for now and buying a control panel. Plans are to be able to transfer this into my new tank. What functions are in your opinion a must when concitering a panel? I want your opinions on conveinences you have on yours factory or inagrated. Also can I get some suggestions of sponsors of this page who supply them please. Thank you!

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,324Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Not many companies who build stand alone panels. Most of them will only make them for their own tanks. We had a guy who was claiming to make them a few years back, but I think that folded up and we all moved on...
  • SeufertSeufert Posts: 63Member
    Not many companies who build stand alone panels. Most of them will only make them for their own tanks. We had a guy who was claiming to make them a few years back, but I think that folded up and we all moved on...
    Well that's not what I wanted to hear... I was actually on the track of wanting to build my new tank out of stainless, I'm a welder by trade and have access to a huge fab shop but I draw the line at playing with electricity when I'm going to be elbow deep in water. If you were to design a panel yourself, what would you have on it?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,324Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You are right to be afraid of water and electricity, it doesn't care, it will still kill you. I have hinted at things that can be done and how they should be done with control panels, and have stopped doing that. Guys that I was lead to believe had basic knowledge of electricity have asked subsequent questions that made me go cross-eyed with stupidity. I understand your desire to make your own tank, and get the enthusiasm, and the idea that you are "halfway there, if you basically get the tank for free"... but that is not true. Typically your tank will (at best) be about a third of the money you will need to stick into this to make a go at a venture where the size tank you are going to make will be justified... but its not the FIRST third. My suggestion is to start by going to training, so you can see what the rest of your money is going to be spent on, and then consider if this is really as easy as you imagined it was going to be. Then consider that you are going to build a tank that is going to cost x number of hours that you could be spending actually learning the process, rather than welding. And if you make a go at this and decide to stop and sell your tank, understand that you have a great looking tank, with (what your buyer will say is) questionable wiring methods, and he will offer you half of what the tank is worth.

look into training and see what it takes to run a shop that the guys that have a tank that size are doing... you are going to be shocked as to where you are going to spend money. Trust me when I say that the time you spend on making a tank would be better spent learning the process. And if you do get trained, and buy a tank, you can turn around and sell that tank (always guys looking for tanks) and make your own while you have a functioning tank to look at, and keep running while you make one better.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,619Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Seufert check @pahydrographics. Jake use to have just panels on his website. Not sure of he still does but you use to be able to just buy a panel I believe. I think they were around 2 grand though. 
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,325Member ✭✭✭✭
    Seufert said:

Well that's not what I wanted to hear... I was actually on the track of wanting to build my new tank out of stainless, I'm a welder by trade and have access to a huge fab shop but I draw the line at playing with electricity when I'm going to be elbow deep in water. If you were to design a panel yourself, what would you have on it?

I built my own control panel and it works great. Due to it involving electricity, I won't take the chance and help someone build one but I will tell you that if you want to try it, join a homebrew forum. That's where you'll find all the information you'll need

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,357Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I have a PA hydro panel on my tank. Replaced the factory one when it went out. I really like
    It. We made some slight mods to fit our production but it’s a great panel.