Dash with wood (peg board)

pblizpbliz Posts: 193Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in General Problems and Advice
So i scuffed, painted with OHW, and dipped. It turned out good other then the square area where client modified and installed wood. The wood is like the stuff you mount to a wall and it has holes for mounting your tools on (peg board). So after sitting for a day I goto clear coat and the area around the edge of the peg board starts cracking and lifting. Do I need to seal with Helmsman or some kind of AP?

Scuffed down again to show wood

Post edited by pbliz on

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,651Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would seal the wood for sure with multiple layers. 
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    just givn you a heads up! anything like that that's kinda oakied stay away from! its gona come back to haunt ya eventually! its gona keep delaminating ect.. its a dash it gets hot as hell and gets cold! expand contract! now if used a use a sheet of abs and glued it together it would b fine. but its two dissimilar pieces he tried to make one! wood - plastic! id just pull the wood out and glue some abs sheet in it! done no probs!!!! but thats just my 2cents!!!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,342Administrator El Jefe

just givn you a heads up! anything like that that's kinda oakied stay away from! its gona come back to haunt ya eventually! its gona keep delaminating ect.. its a dash it gets hot as hell and gets cold! expand contract! now if used a use a sheet of abs and glued it together it would b fine. but its two dissimilar pieces he tried to make one! wood - plastic! id just pull the wood out and glue some abs sheet in it! done no probs!!!! but thats just my 2cents!!!

Excellent advise...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    AP is ONLY for plastic. It does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for wood, metal or glass. And yes, you should have sealed it.
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 193Member ✭✭✭

You're absolutely right. Yeah I will bring this up with customer. A lot more work then anticipated, but I will make sure it is done right. Thanks guys.

Merry Christmas.
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 193Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    So basically customer said do what ya can, I won't be held accountable if it de-laminates because he made the modification and might be changing in future. So since I re-sanded part, I thought I would try some sealer but could only find this. Think it will work as well as Helmsman?

I'm going to try on test peice first.
    Post edited by pbliz on
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Its always fun to experiment, just keep VERY good notes on what you are doing. And test, test, test when you are done... and then post up the results here.