Issues with this film!! — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with this film!!

SeufertSeufert Posts: 60Member
edited December 2017 in Newbie Hydro Tech Questions
Hey all, I have found a film that just keeps beating me. Liquid concepts confederate camo. I have dipped a few speed shapes and have had success with them but every darn time I go to do this stock it kicks my butt! OHW base, 89 degree water, 60 sec soak, just enough dwell to put down gun and grab stock, Ink drink activator, I know I have a few under activated spots in this pic but can anyone explain the one side dipping with nice color and when I roll it I'm getting dull light pattern?? This is the 2nd time I'm seeing dull on the flip side... I can tell you this dip I rolled it but didn't push the stock under the water too far after the film hit. The time before I did. Seeng this before I rinse.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,947Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I think K2 Brew or Mossy Sauce on that film may work better. It’s a finicky film. Very easy to get fading. Also you may try dipping half and half with your current setup.
  • SeufertSeufert Posts: 60Member
    @MidOhioHydrographics can you tell me what actually causes the fading? As far as double dipping, I have never Done it but have read about a few ways to do it. Is there a good video out there showing the correct way to do it? I see guys tape seams and guys who don't rinse PVA.
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,123Member ✭✭✭✭
    when you roll it over are pushing into the pattern as you go under?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    It's stretching. I guess the faded side is the second side to go in? I never could get that film to work on anything but speed shapes. Looks under activated.
    when you roll it over are pushing into the pattern as you go under?
    That time I did not, the time before I did.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,850Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a common problem with Yeti Cups also... When you "roll" the object in the water, you have to roll it across the top. NOT spin in place. Spinning in place is pulling/stretching the film causing the ink to show more basecoat between the ink droplets.

One of our forum sponsors, Brian at @liquidconcepts Shows good technique for rolling gunstocks in his video below. Notice the LARGE bleed area he has allowed when cutting the film to size, it's huge compared to the object he is dipping. That's a good practice because when you are conservative with the amount of film you use, it causes you to subconsciously try to pull the film to the dipped object instead of rolling in to use ALL the film you laid on the water.

@studebaker awesome answer, I would have never thought I had done that! I wish I had videoed these dips so I could go back and laugh at myself.
  • PMFMISSOURIPMFMISSOURI Posts: 33Member
    I had finally got it to sort of work on this cup. But it's like @studebaker said, I had to really watch my film in front of the cup and keep moving towards the edge of the film as I rolled it. Now if it can just get rid of the little dots would be great.
    @PMFMISSOURI Black dots made by magic markers are less noticeable than white dots. Hint, hint... :-)
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,864Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @studebaker @PMFMISSOURI I have used Magic Markers before and sometimes they bleed around when they get cleared. It might be better to use something like these. Testors paint markers, available at Ace hardware and Walmart. You can get the whole set for about $20

Excellent advice @WileECoyote Paint is better... Here's my go to set for touchup. Sold at Sam's Club for $20. It also includes silver and gold metallic markers. I just need the larger color gamut of this set for touchup work.

• PMFMISSOURIPMFMISSOURI Posts: 33Member
    Thanks for the tips. The paint markers would be a lot easier then cleaning and changing colors in my airbrush. Some of the camo patterns get fun to fill in the dots.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,464Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Those dots are trapped air btw. I would bet, looking at the cup, you probably sent "bottom" in first yes?

it's easier for the film to flow from "big to small" then from " small to big" without getting some air trapped in there.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    smedlin said:

Those dots are trapped air btw. I would bet, looking at the cup, you probably sent "bottom" in first yes?

it's easier for the film to flow from "big to small" then from " small to big" without getting some air trapped in there.

Agreed. The dots are trapped air from hitting the water too flat. Enter the water with one end, flatten out so it's level, then proceed with the rolling.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,767Administrator El Jefe
    BTW those are 2 different patterns...the first one is the 50cm "Real" Confederate Camo and the bottom pic is the 100cm larger Chinese Knock Off that we rejected and then they sold out the back door on us...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,864Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    ...And this is why there is no copyright security in this industry...
    @K2Concepts good eye, I didn't know there was a Chinese distributor on this film, this is what makes me nervous about buying film anywhere other than the guys we speak of on this page.