Edit: TPO... not TPU Plastic — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edit: TPO... not TPU Plastic

GLHGLH Posts: 16Member
Has anyone dipped or can you dip direct to TPO plastic like you can ABS? I am getting parts directly from the manufacturer and he can make them in any color I want so that would be nice cost wise.
Post edited by GLH on

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,664Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yes, you can dip directly to ABS
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,142Member ✭✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote is TPO the same as ABS? I don't think he is asking about ABS but if he can dip direct to TPO like ABS. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,700Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Wipe the plastic with acetone. If it gums up, you should be able to dip directly. Try one piece. If not, you can’t.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,664Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @DeviousDips Sorry, I misread, you were correct. @MidOhioHydrographics is correct, if solvent starts to effect it, then activator will bite too it.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe
    Thermoplastic Olefin...solvents will not affect it...so no you won't be able to dip straight to it...
  • GLHGLH Posts: 16Member
    edited December 2017
    I think I will try a good direct to plastic paint then. Or possibly @onehitwonder?
    Or DTP from Kansas Hydro...or Dip Bite from Dip Demon...or Low Country Hydro Paint...all are direct to plastic paint...

@kansashydro
    @dipdemon
    @LCHP
    @kansashydro @dipdemon and @LCHP have you guys done any testing with adhering to TPO? Also I may have some concern about paint flexibility as it is a stage microphone clip. Any possible concerns there?
    I don't think there is enough flex in that thing to worry about...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,700Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You’ll be fine.
    @GLH I would rely on your own testing more than what anyone else tells you. Your techniques and process will vary from the testing that any one else does. If they are a manufacturer of the paint, they operate on conditions that may be more perfect than anything you could ever hope to achieve. If they are simply a distributor, they can very from that same situation, to a tub full of water with recycled plastic and an aerosol activator. 

Your own testing will be a much better learning opportunity. Take a few dozen parts and scuff a few, wipe a few just with a cleaner or iso/alch, prime a few and paint them while keeping very good track of the process on each. Then do a scratch test, and record your results, and conditions and figure out what process works for you. Do that a few times with different products, and you will get quite good at it, and efficient... And you will have a huge library of info that you can fall back on, and take the guess work out of this process.
    @WileECoyote thanks for the insight. This manufacturer's client sells microphone pieces to the show The Voice and America's Got Talent as well as many others. So I just want to make sure I can get this dialed in as quick as possible.
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 811Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Our DTP paint will work fine with TPO plastic.