Does size really matter?

Ha, thought that title might grab ya!

Really, would like your thoughts on whether attaching a hose reel with a 25' 3/8 inch hose at one or more of the connections kinda defeats the purpose of using a 3/4 inch main line. In this case, we're talking about using a blast cabinet that sucks air.

Got the hi flow fittings too and not sure if attaching a 25' hose is, the best way of getting air to the blast cabinet. Seen this done over and over, and yet seems to me using 3/4 all over EXCEPT from the point of actually using the compressed air might just prove pointless.

Does it make any noticeable difference?

Thanks!

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Plumb the air as close as possible and use a 3/4” snubber hose to attach the blaster to the airline. I actually have a 1.5” line run to mine.
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be the first to throw it out there. Not in the case of Jim's mom just need a 2×4 and a bungee cord lol.
  • Diecron_IncDiecron_Inc Posts: 56Member ✭✭
    Like @MidOhioHydrographics said,Always go as big as you can all the way. Most people do not have enough air when it comes to blasting. Most also do not check their blast nozzles for wear. 1/16th of wear inside a nozzle will most likely use more extra air than your compressor can handle. That amount of wear in a system like ours with 1.5" blast hose, can cause the worn nozzle to use an extra 100-150 cfm. Always clean your media the best you can, blast media tumbles down the blast hose, where as dirt and other trash typically slide down the hose causing wear. We all know its gonna wear out but trash will eat it much quicker.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Hose has static (resistance to flow) the whole way. The longer the run, the less efficient the system.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,342Administrator El Jefe

I'll be the first to throw it out there. Not in the case of Jim's mom just need a 2×4 and a bungee cord lol.

Oh I know someone who is getting coal in their Christmas Stocking...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    In the case of Jim's mom... I don't know if the records go back far enough to know who was the first to "throw it out there"
    I will ask your mom when I leave tonight...
    Now don't go trying to claim me as your offspring too.... @smedlin is gonna get jealous.
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,725Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    oh you guys can take turns and play nice
  • winterwinter Posts: 24Member
    Hmm, anyone know offhand if it'd be possible (or a good idea) to use my leftover 3/4" rapid air line as a 10' snubber hose? Just want to run a line from a drop to the blast cabinet.

Not sure what fittings are needed just to plumb it from a quick connect. Any ideas?
    winter said:

Hmm, anyone know offhand if it'd be possible (or a good idea) to use my leftover 3/4" rapid air line as a 10' snubber hose? Just want to run a line from a drop to the blast cabinet.

Not sure what fittings are needed just to plumb it from a quick connect. Any ideas?

I don't see why not...
    @winter use barbed fittings to prevent choking. You will be fine.
  • winterwinter Posts: 24Member
    Thanks again! Man, they sure are proud of those RapidAir fittings. :o