Liquid Concepts — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Liquid Concepts

Hello all!

I'm an armature looking to do this for fun... so please don't hate me already whenever I ask dumb questions!
I just bought some film from Liquid Concepts and tried it out last night... and for some reason I couldn't get the hang of it. The film would either not stick on what I was trying to dip and I'd have film hanging off of it under water, or it was all bunched up, or the film would fall apart before I would even get started. I never made more than 2 passes with my activator, and it seemed to work the best whenever I would just make one pass. When I say work the best.... I mean out of 5 objects only one looked good enough not to sand back down and start over, and it only ended up being 75% covered. We did it with water around 70-80 degrees and also tried it in cold water.

Can someone give me some insight on what I might be doing wrong? I saw where a guy was spraying activator to close to the surface and it expanded the film to fast. So please have at it, I'd love to know thoughts and maybe some tips.

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,417Member ✭✭✭✭
    You was over activating the film. Try running 90 degree water, 60 sec soak time. There are many videos here that you should watch and you will start understanding many of the problems. 
    Also welcome
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,864Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Keep in mind, this is NOWHERE near as it appears on youtube. There are many things that could be causing your problems. We will need a complete description of the products you are using and the tools that you are applying them with. If you are not using a paint designed for this process, and an activator out of an aerosol, I can already tell you your problem, and that the solution is going to cost you a few hundred dollars to fix.
  • cstrickland93cstrickland93 Posts: 4Member
    I've tried to look at as many as I could before this. Most people only made two passes... am I doing something wrong whenever I'm doing the two passes?

And thanks! Looking forward to chatting with all of y'all.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,864Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    2 passes doesn't mean much as the speed at which you make your passes can vary greatly. You need to put a light over your tank so that you can view the surface of the water at an angle and watch the film hydrate.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,767Administrator El Jefe
    Well I can tell you right now I'm not using anything special or fancy, It's just a kit I got to have some fun with. The only way to be successful at this is to spend that kind of money? Like I said, I'm not trying to make a business out of this. Just something to keep me busy and have some fun with.
    Well, rather than express my feelings about "kits" I will leave the troubleshooting up to @liquidconcepts.
    Lol so stay away from kits??  How would you recommend doing this as a hobby?  @WileECoyote
    id really like to do, but I also like to do things right... and these look like trash. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,464Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Well. the truth is.. like wile said, those dip kits are hard to get consistent results with.

But, they WILL work.

aerosol activator is really difficult to get the exact amount of activator on the part. But.. it WILL work.

What type of paint are you using? What parts are you dipping?

Also, next time, post a picture of the part. Don't be embarrassed. Trust me, we have all been there and had bad (BAD) dips.

--

but yea.. those dip kits. If it was really that easy and those things worked (well), do you think "we" would spend thousands on equipment. I for one, don't spend money just to spend money.
  • liquidconceptsliquidconcepts Posts: 102Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @cstrickland93 give me a call when you have a chance and we will try to see what is happening 501-455-5500.I tried looking up your order but perhaps it's under a different name :)
    @cstrickland93 who says that everything can be done as a cheap hobby? If you are going to get into RC airplanes you can go get a $30 machine and it gets off the ground... in the loosest sense of the word, but you aren't going to impress anyone, I assure you. to get repeatable results you have to be able to have repeatable products, and an aerosol can by its nature, loses pressure while you use it... changing the pattern through its use... therefore NEVER repeatable... much less from can to can. And all this while you are trying to LEARN what to look for in the 30 other variables in this process.

I feel you are fighting an uphill battle my friend, and you are using a butter knife and half a can of Coke...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator

Well I can tell you right now I'm not using anything special or fancy, It's just a kit I got to have some fun with. The only way to be successful at this is to spend that kind of money? Like I said, I'm not trying to make a business out of this. Just something to keep me busy and have some fun with.

A "hobby" setup is going to run about $10k. You WILL NOT have consistently good results using the "kits" you find online. With proper training, tools, and materials, you should be dipping consistently in about a year. This is not as simple as Youtube makes it look. It's a fine study in chemistry and physics.