Changing out Blaster Media — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changing out Blaster Media

smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

When y'all change out the media in the blaster, do y'all throw the old stuff away?

or just keep it in there and add new stuff on top of it?

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,673Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually just throw out and start fresh 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    looch said:

I usually just throw out and start fresh 

This...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We just add to it. But most of our blasting is very low pressure to just take the shine off ecoat. And blasting through the ecoat is not good for us. So a “weaker” media is ok. If you’re blasting metal frequently to profile it, then yeah I’d change it out.

Our blaster also has a very good reclaimer that captures the fine dust and worthless media and separates it from the heavier stuff that can be reused.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.

I made a run to Northern Tools today, picked up 50lbs of glass beads (which is what I use in the blaster).

Guess I'll be just a dumping the old stuff in the trash.
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 840Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when we blasted daily, we scooped up and reused our media (aluminum oxide). It's not fun shoveling all that out of a large blast booth, but it works! :| Assuming you're just using a blast cabinet, it's probably easiest to just start fresh.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea, it's just a normal size blast cabinet. I threw away the old stuff and added 50lbs of new.