What's causing this?

Water temp 90°, liquid concepts film and activator, ohw paint, 1 min soak time and using a 1.8 tip for activator with one pass. Been having good results then this started happening

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks under activated give it another quick pass 
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 540Member ✭✭✭
    I agree looks under activated
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep, I concur with above.

But... I've seen similar things happen with the paint is laid down rough due to nibs or rough texture and it was actually little spots of trapped air. We resolved by painting the item, wet sanding smooth to knock down the nibs. Then another smooth coat, then dip.
  • Bill86Bill86 Posts: 28Member
    I think it's a combination of both. That's a off a four wheeler that was in pretty rough shape so it wasn't exactly smooth. I'm also having a tough time finding the sweet spot laying down activator. Any advice on how to be more consistent applying activator?
    There is a vidoe of jim using water or thinner and paper or cardboard to check and practice appling activator 
    The video is called activator practice @Bill86
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah practice makes perfect, unfortunately. Get some speed shapes, some cheap film
    And a gallon of activator. Took me a month of nearly full time practice to Be confident At the tank.
  • Bill86Bill86 Posts: 28Member
    I agree practice makes perfect. Thanks for the info 
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 953Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Under activated, try a tic tack toe pattern, one coat length wise then a quick 2nd coat the other direction, perpendicular to your first pass
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 848Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bill86 i just mounted a light behind my tank and it makes it so much easier to see the film really glass out.

Totally agree! Lighting makes a huge difference. The number of passes doesn't really matter if you don't have proper lighting to "read" your activation.