Can you use a different hardener for a specific clear-coat? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you use a different hardener for a specific clear-coat?

JoeyVJoeyV Posts: 6Member
edited December 2017 in Clear Coat Information
Title needs exapanding, so here are the deets.

I purchased 5-star clear coat from EmeraldCoatings a few months ago (late May) for a project that came out great. Then, I stored the clear and hardener in the same place I've been storing all my other stuff. Unfortunately, the hardener must've been contaminated or the quart tin had an improper seal (other than the lid as I did close that properly with a mallet) and completely hardened.

Since then, I've purchased Tamco's Hi-Impact clear which comes with HH-7605 Hardener. I want to know if it's possible to use the Tamco hardener with the 5-star clear?

I'm hoping I can do this as I can't order just the hardener for the 5-star through EmeraldCoatings, and I don't want to waste $100 of clear coat.

EDIT - EmeraldCoatings just got back to me and they will have the hardener only option available soon.
Post edited by JoeyV on

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I would say no, unfortunately. Unless you get confirmation from each manufacturer.
  • Freedom HydrographicsFreedom Hydrographics Posts: 245Member ✭✭✭
     I try not to for this reason. If a product fails, you can contact the company, they will hook you up with a rep that will check the piece out, and if they determine that it was all their products used that caused the failure, they will refund or replace the products, plus your labor costs to repair it. Thats a guarentee i dont mess around with. Thats my 2 cents. 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,763Administrator El Jefe
    I never mix manufactures products...especially clear coat...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, it ins't worth it. Even if it hardens up, who knows what the adhesion is. What if it starts peeling in the sun... you are going to have a pissed off customer. Most likely what will happen is it won't harden up like its supposed too, and it will wrinkle the basecoat. Most of these hardeners are hygroscopic (absorb water from the air). once you open them, you have a limited time to use it before you have a crystallized mess on your hands.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,458Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I mixed up hardeners by accident once. Even though both clear coats came from Big Brain, they react different.

It didn't cure right. I ended up sanding it smooth and re-clearing it.
  • JoeyVJoeyV Posts: 6Member
    That's what I feared. Thanks for the answers guys.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,663Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the mix ratio is the same, chances are that the hardeners will be compatible- the public only has access to one, maybe two Isocyanates of that level. You SHOULD be fine, but like these guys say, I’d never risk mixing different companies
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Prime uses 2 different ones, not sure the chemistry of it all. The 009 works for everything but I am guessing doesn't follow VOC coast to coast rules. 003 is good, but when there is a problem they always try 009 to try to fix it.