Options for prepping a stock. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Options for prepping a stock.

SeufertSeufert Posts: 38Member
Hi all, I have been given the chance to dip a factory Remington synthetic stock, I am reading on here the method of choice is to blast it with 100 grit A.O. My issue is that I can only find 80 grit local and this stock is a Christmas gift. Also I have a cabnet that I bought used and have no idea what kind of media is in it or what has been blasted in it, so I don't want to take any chances. What it the 2nd best option for prep in your opinions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 177Member ✭✭✭
    You don't have to blast. All you really need is a good scuff so that the paint has something to bit to. Then degrees paint dip
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Correct. You don't need to blast necessarily. I just very much prefer it. It's faster and more thorough. 80 grit AO will be fine to blast.

You can sand with 400 grit or scuff with a scotch brite until it's it's uniformly dull. Adhesion promoter and Paint, or use a direct to plastic paint from One Hit Wonder, Low Country, or DTP.

• SeufertSeufert Posts: 38Member
    I kinda figured I could get away with scuffing but wanted to be sure, so many misleading things on other forms like "make sure you flame treat them" lol. Thank you very much!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,475Administrator El Jefe
    Ahh the FaceBook idiots...

Just ask a question and watch the pandemonium ensue...entertaining but almost worthless otherwise...you are better off watching "Cat in a shark suit riding a Roomba" videos...
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,203Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've started using this stuff just recently and really like how good it works. Also degreases at the same time: https://www.amazon.ca/3M-06013-Scuff-Paint-Prep/dp/B000PF1A9A
  • SeufertSeufert Posts: 38Member
    Ahh the FaceBook idiots... Just ask a question and watch the pandemonium ensue...entertaining but almost worthless otherwise...you are better off watching "Cat in a shark suit riding a Roomba" videos...
    HEY.. some of those Roomba videos are awesome lol! I'm very new to dipping but I can get a good laugh on Facebook after surfing and reading here all day. 
  • OverCoatsOverCoats Posts: 335Member ✭✭✭
    80 grit is fine. Blast it and carry on..degrease it well, knock off the shine and you’re done