Rolling Cups and Running a Tank — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rolling Cups and Running a Tank

MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
Here's a video of my guys rolling cups. One guy can roll two cups every 3 minutes. They are taking their time and hitting 4 cups every 4 minutes. I think they could speed up to a 3 minute cycle time if they really tried. Do that math per day... Remember nobody ever said you only had to lay one piece of film on the tank at a time! We had 200 of these to do and ironed out a lot of process techniques. First really "large" run that we've had. The cup thing never really took off around us, but I think we have a system that can be pretty profitable even for smaller orders for local companies. I'm going to knock on some doors next year with free samples. If we could get a few orders like this before Christmas it would be a nice way to end the year!
We use Mason Jar corks from WidgetCo with eyebolts through them. Works well.

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice video.
    edited December 2017
    The guy on the near side of the video goes small side to big side (bottom in first), the other guy goes top in first.

Guess it does not really matter. But was told top in first, so the film will "flow" to the small side better.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited December 2017
    You guys are awesome...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited December 2017
    smedlin said:

The guy on the near side of the video goes small side to big side (bottom in first), the other guy goes top in first.

Guess it does not really matter. But was told top in first, so the film will "flow" to the small side better.

I agree.... But... They're coming out perfect. I wanted to say something soooo bad. But in the end? It wouldn't "fix" anything. So I kept my mouth shut. Which is very much a struggle for me :lol: I don't like to micro-manage my guys, even though sometimes I'm very guilty of that exact thing.

Edit: I think part of it has to do with him being a Lefty. Sounds logical. Ha!
    Like you said.. guess it does not really matter as long as it comes out great :)

• dirtbagdavdirtbagdav Posts: 93Member
    Thanks for posting the video.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,007Member ✭✭✭
    That's awesome!
  • RedneckrayRedneckray Posts: 218Member ✭✭
    great viedo
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    Thanks Joe!...and yes...don't micromanage your workers...stifles their growth...
  • NWHNWH Posts: 43Member ✭✭

Thanks Joe!...and yes...don't micromanage your workers...stifles their growth...

Use bigger hammer motivates more. Beatings will continue until motivation is at a 110% or death your choice. =)
    NWH said:

Use bigger hammer motivates more. Beatings will continue until motivation is at a 110% or death your choice. =)
    Or this...
  • midnight_dippermidnight_dipper Posts: 52Member ✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics , I noticed like 0.0 activator overspray from your auto system, what do you have your air pressure set at and are all automatic activator systems that clean?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @midnight_dipper Most are, but not all. Ours wasn’t at first when we had automatic HVLP style guns. It had a cloud of activator that would choke you. So I installed the hood. I upgraded our guns fairly recently to an automatic style similar to what is used in the Brain Pot system. Most of the automated systems do use a style of gun similar to this.
  • midnight_dippermidnight_dipper Posts: 52Member ✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics , that's pretty sweet and it has to be a lot healthier for anyone near it. So I guess by the name Brain Pot that it's a pressure pot and no air is used to atomize the activator and so no cloud? Big Brain sells it?
    Correct! Sorry. I should have clarified. Big Brain does sell an activation system using a gun and pressure Pot. There is no “atomization Air” coming to the gun. Only fluid (activator) which is forced through a specialized nozzle to create a fan. Think about a pressure washer tip. Similar design. The fluid is shaped by the nozzle creating no cloud. Very nice.
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 220Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics - Where did you get your nozzles from and is there a certain size that is the most efficient?
    Sorry @gardnerddd This isn't something I freely share. I have a boat load of time and money invested into this system.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Start thinking airless sprayers guys... your local Graco representative should be able to help you spec one for the viscosity you are trying to shoot.
    OR use your existing DeVilbiss GPi and drop the pressure down to around 4 psi and have no cloud either...

OR use your existing DeVilbiss GPi and drop the pressure down to around 4 psi and have no cloud either...

I tried that, didn't work for me.

Does it matter if I use a 1.8 vs a 1.4?
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 220Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

Sorry @gardnerddd This isn't something I freely share. I have a boat load of time and money invested into this system.

@MidOhioHydrographics - No problem, I certainly understand.

smedlin said:

I tried that, didn't work for me.

Does it matter if I use a 1.8 vs a 1.4?
    I shot a video of me doing it with a 1.4...you must be some kind of special retarded boy...

and yes a 1.8 will work better because it atomizes less...I use a 1.8...
  • Rogakis2923Rogakis2923 Posts: 28Member
    That was awesome!!
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 176Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the cup rolling fixture @DeviousDips makes? We sell them . I've added a rack n pinion to the fixture also. He is an amazing fabricator. High quality. Dipping 3 - 4 cups with 1 guy is the bomb.... You could set up two guys on that tank and dip 6 - 8 cups every 3 min.....

Have you seen the cup rolling fixture @DeviousDips makes? We sell them . I've added a rack n pinion to the fixture also. He is an amazing fabricator. High quality. Dipping 3 - 4 cups with 1 guy is the bomb.... You could set up two guys on that tank and dip 6 - 8 cups every 3 min.....

I have the 1 cup edition. Pretty spiffy things.

(what's the rack n pinion thingy)?
    @mielkewaygraphics could be awesome! Would have to see how the connections work. Putting 3-4 cups on a fixture takes time also. The setup would be what I would need to look into. Put four cups on, Dip, take them off while all slimy, then put new on, all while Keeping the fixture and freshly prepped/painted cups clean and free from PVA reside from the previous dip. What are your thoughts on that? Or would it be something where you buy 25 fixtures, and rack 100 at a time for a run and send the whole thing through the entire process?
    edited May 4
    From what I’m seeing on your website it would be way too cumbersome. Currently doing 4 cups/4minutes, so 1 cup per minute. Would be hard to get 4 cups off and on that thing, then dipped in 4 minutes. See below. I calculated incorrectly .I think it can be done, but it would be hard...

But... I think see a solution. Simple too...

Problem is you want one or two fixtures to use on hundreds of cups, and that requires efficient yet secure attachment to the fixture. Solution - rare earth magnets. Instead of having the large cork stopper on the roller, put one in each cup the same way we do. Get 4 strong rare earth magnets and put them on the cork. Use a Cerakoted steel disk on the fixture and the cups just stick to that. Click on, dip, click off and place in the rinser. Would also need a dowel in the center of the cork that could be used to center the cups on the steel disk.

Just throwing out ideas... Potential is absolutely there, just not quite w/ current design.
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,583Member ✭✭✭✭
    Technically 1 guy would only have to get half of that to match what u are doing now since your paying 2 wages to get that 4 a min
    edited May 4

Technically 1 guy would only have to get half of that to match what u are doing now since your paying 2 wages to get that 4 a min

You are 100% correct! So 2 cups in the 4 minutes. Are you currently removing the cups from the stoppers or removing them at the threaded rod?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,583Member ✭✭✭✭
    I remove the whole cup holder just because I have so many laying around. Another guy makes his own holders and does the same. Basically got a  pc of wood with about 30 holes in it that I put all the holders on and paint them all at once. Same setup in rinse tank. Then I use about 2 threads so they twist on and off easily. 
    I dont dispute at all that production guys with the right guys and right techniques can do them super quick. I personally made this for me and never thought to sell so it wasn't like I sat down and designed it in CAD. I understand what you are saying this is just the quickest way for me to do a cup and know it's got a straight seam and no stretch. Thanks for the input I appreciate it