deposite

MikeBMikeB Posts: 61Member
do you all take deposits on jobs when you take them in?

Comments

  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Sometimes. All my paperwork and emails say 50% deposit. If it's a large job, or if I need to order special supplies then I'll take the deposit. Usually we have most things in house now, or just need to order a film or certain color Cerakote, which doesn't affect me much at this point.

    But if you need some $ up front to cover materials? Absolutely acceptable to ask for half down.
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    LIke @MidOhioHydrographics said, if you need to order ANYTHING required to do the particular job, I suggest you always ask for 50%. One time I didn't because it was a "friend", and after I ordered the film, he backed out. Now I'm stuck with an ugly film that no one else will likely want
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceMaster said:

    I didn't because it was a "friend", and after I ordered the film, he backed out. Now I'm stuck with an ugly film that no one else will likely want

    Same thing happened to me.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    All jobs paid in full upon ordering.
  • MikeBMikeB Posts: 61Member
    thanks
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    smedlin said:

    IceMaster said:

    I didn't because it was a "friend", and after I ordered the film, he backed out. Now I'm stuck with an ugly film that no one else will likely want

    Same thing happened to me.
    Sadly...me too...sigh...
  • SkinEDippinSkinEDippin Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    @K2Concepts , @smedlin ,& @IceMaster , Im learning from this one especially when it comes to friends, at least get the money down to cover your costs. I like the half down up front and the second half at completion.
  • GLHGLH Posts: 41Member
    @SkinEDippin I like that too and am going to start doing it effective immediately. My problem is the last few months not only did I not get any deposits up front... I was doing the "friends and family" pricing as well for everything. Just to get some work going. Now I am going to be climbing out of that hole for a while.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    GLH said:

    @SkinEDippin I like that too and am going to start doing it effective immediately. My problem is the last few months not only did I not get any deposits up front... I was doing the "friends and family" pricing as well for everything. Just to get some work going. Now I am going to be climbing out of that hole for a while.

    As @K2Concepts says, "you can't discount your way to profitability".
Sign In or Register to comment.