Opinions Wanted! ( Custom Film) — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions Wanted! ( Custom Film)

The reason we are asking for your opinion on the questions below is so we can assist in making Custom Film (CF) more readily available. We believe all CF printers can benefit from the information.

Have you used CF before?

If you have used CF, was it Paperbacked (you peel off backing) or Paperfilm (no need to peel backing off goes right in water)?

If you have used both which is easier, which do you like?

Compared to regular film is it easy to use?

Do you let your customers know they have the option of using custom film instead of just generic film?

If you had training or more training videos on CF would you use it more?

How do you feel about the price point for custom film? At what price point would you use it more?

Other comments?

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,321Administrator El Jefe
    I thought there would be more input here...but I will bite...

Yes, I have used custom film many times...

All of it paper backed...

Cant answer this one...nothing to compare it to...

Regular film has been easier to use because it is easier to get on the water but now I use a piece of PVC to get custom film on the water and it's no big deal...

Always let my customers know there is now an option...BUT most of my customers are production based and the price point is not feasible for that kind of work...

I would be willing to shoot some videos on custom film use...

The price for the bulk generic film is where my pricing is based and there isn't any way I would try to beat a custom filmmaker down to that point...it would not be fair...It would be better for me to try and convince my production contracts to have a "Customize" page for their products and raise that price to compensate fairly...some are open to it but none have bit so far...
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,449Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have used a boat load of @studebakers film a couple from liquid concepts and a few from mountain mike and so far one of your films. I always mention to customers about having anything they can think of made up. Alot of people are just cheap or boring wanting the same old thing carbon fiber blah blah blah. The paperback film that disolves in water seems to work great especially when you have a fan blowing in ur shop lol. I work with mainly custom work not production. 
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭✭
    I also have used alot of fractalcamo films which is paperback.  It was my go to for custom films. I recently tried @Hydro_Digital_Films and was very impressed. Easy to use, followed their instruction and went great. So I've used both and would say that after you get use to custom film it works just as great as production film.
     As far as cost goes, I'm not a production shop so for me to offer custom films to ppl alot have chose that route. I could see why in production ppl may not bite when you have to increase the price that much. But for me for now I'm happy with either or. Both work great for me paper or non paper backed
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 255Member ✭✭✭

Have you used CF before?
    Yes, Fractual, Hydro Digital Films, & some I printed myself on a pigment ink printer.

If you have used CF, was it Paperbacked (you peel off backing) or Paperfilm (no need to peel backing off goes right in water)?
    Yes, I have used both and prefer the Paperfilm. The backing is hard to get off and the flimsy film is hard to get into the water.

Compared to regular film is it easy to use?
    No, There is a learning curb. I have not used enough to master it. It is different I find it easy to over activate and it does not like to stretch as much as regular film.

Do you let your customers know they have the option of using custom film instead of just generic film?
    Yes, However the ones that are interested also want the graphics work done but do not want to pay for the time involved. I have zero graphics design skills and would have to outsource it.

If you had training or more training videos on CF would you use it more?

How do you feel about the price point for custom film? At what price point would you use it more? I don't find the prices too high for what's involved in making it.
  • Hydro_Digital_FilmsHydro_Digital_Films Posts: 17Member
    Thanks @K2Concepts for the "bite" !

As for @looch , @DeviousDips , @Trouble thanks for your input as well, we appreciate it.

- Junior