Cold weather dipping — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cold weather dipping

Hey guys,

Its starting to cool of here in Colorado. Have a question about dipping in the garage. And whether or not i need to heat the garage. I am able to paint and Clear at the shop where i work, but i have to do the dipping process at the house. So my question is will the cold affect anything that i need to worry about? Of coarse my water will still be heated in my tank and what not. I keep my paint and activator inside. Any insight?

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    It doesn't get much below freezing here, but I dip fine in colder weather. You may want to make sure your parts are up to room temperature before dipping and keep the water up to temp.

Some of the "cold weather dippers" may want to chime in here.
  • Rogakis2923Rogakis2923 Posts: 27Member
    @NotSoFast right on i will do that with the parts!
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,189Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    My wife grew up in Colorado and Minn.

My advice.. move.

Screw that cold crap...just move.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,147Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rogakis2923 I work out of my garage and I use kerosene torpedo heater. I'll run it and get the garage warm then kick it out while I'm dipping. I don't do production and have down time to where I can kick it on and off as needed
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 846Member ✭✭✭
    I ran a heater in my work area yesterday. Will do it again tonight before I clear coat some parts.
    It almost hit 80 here today.. high 70's.

Just saying.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    smedlin said:

It almost hit 80 here today.. high 70's.

Just saying.

Same here. 78 degrees.
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 724Member ✭✭✭
    smedlin said:

My wife grew up in Colorado and Minn.

My advice.. move.

Screw that cold crap...just move.

Hey, hey hey... mr. smedlin we are in minnesota... its not all that bad.. 48 degrees all week and its dec 1...oh thats right you are sucking up that warmth in the south...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @smedlin little known benefit called "Winter Kill"... No Scorpions, Black Widow Spiders, or centipedes the size of a small dog... I don't remember the last snake I saw.

@smedlin little known benefit called "Winter Kill"... No Scorpions, Black Widow Spiders, or centipedes the size of a small dog... I don't remember the last snake I saw.

I'll give ya that one.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep everything (paints, parts, compressor AIR) as close to 70 as you can, if not 80. Activator will evaporate much quicker if the humidity is low, so try and keep your place as warm as usual, with min 40% humidity if you can