Temperature of substrate — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Temperature of substrate

chanrickchanrick Posts: 28Member
edited November 2017 in Newbie Hydro Tech Questions
At what substrate temperature is considered to be too cold to dip? If i am to be consistent with everything, then, I would consider substrate temperature to be one to be consistent with. If my water temperature is consistently 90degF, what is the ideal temperature of the item to be dipped? I have used a temperature gun and noticed that @80degF works fine. On the other hand can the substrate be too hot? Im dipping out of my garage so my substrate temperature fluctuates with outside temperature. :confused:

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep. 50° F is too cold to spray, and 100°F is to hot to spray. You effect the evaporation rate of the paint when you go outside those parameters. Some people feel its even more narrow than that.
  • chanrickchanrick Posts: 28Member
    @WileECoyote what about dipping? Is it bad to have a huge temperature difference in the object your dipping from the water temperature?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yes, of course. If we tell you your water can only vary by 10° why would you think putting a 30° part in it isn't running a risk? At that point your process is COMPLETELY uncontrolled, your whole point it to get MORE control over your steps. Can I tell you HOW its going to be effected? No, because it's out of control.
  • chanrickchanrick Posts: 28Member
    I understand, I’m just trying to figure out the optimal temperature of the object being dipped.  I was dipping an aluminum part which was @62-64 degF and water temp was 90deg.  Dipped looked good but ink smeared off when rinsed (not like over activation).  Happend twice in a row.  I then proceeded to warm up aluminum in oven to 80deg before dipping and didn’t have a problem. I was just curious in relation to deltaT of the water and substrate for the optimal chemical reaction. 
    Good temperatures are typically room temp. Optimal is whatever your testing determines... but testing requires multiple parts, and time, and scrap... things you don't have when doing custom jobs.
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 786Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @chanrick its not the temp of the part that is the problem its being within the parameters of the base paint. Each manufacturer is different.