Humidity could be Lowering my Humility — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Humidity could be Lowering my Humility

Hey All,
My daughter asked me a very interesting question that made me think .... (yes thinking is still a whole new experience to me) .... How much influence does humidity have when dipping? As I live in the rain forest the humidity is in the lower 90's at this time of year. Now I'm not talking about storage etc, I mean prepping to dip, mainly between sizing the film and activating it.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,162Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Certain areas of the country have a short window to remove their film from the package and get it into the water. @NotSoFast and @smedlin are the names I think of first for this problem.
  • CluelessClueless Posts: 39Member ✭✭
    @WileECoyote
    Thanks, all my films are kept in their plastic sleeve and I only take them out and size and cut when I'm ready to dip so they go straight from the cut and tape to the water. My daughter tickled my interest concerning possible problems of humidity on the film before activation in other words between the film and activator. Could this have any serious effect?
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,942Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES! @Clueless Humidity does affect the dip! If you want to have the best results keep your film in a dehumidified container. Even in the plastic sleeve, it will get humidity infiltration in your ambient conditions there in the mysterious rainforest of Central America.

Humidity affects the hydration rate greatly. There are times when the film is so "pre-hydrated" by humidity that as soon as you apply the activator and the fixative/ink bonds are broken, the film will just drift apart or not have enough integrity to contiguously wrap around a part.

A dehumidified container may be a broken refrigerator with a 75 watt incandescent light bulb running continuously or something like that.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,188Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I am in south Louisiana and 70% humidity is dry for us any time except in the winter. We keep our film in our air conditioned offices to keep the humidity low. It's stored in the plastic bag that it's shipped in and that is inside a sealed cardboard tube. It stays in good shape like this. The problem comes when we take the film from the office out into the shop where the tank is and the air is humid (90%+ in the summer). It hydrates and becomes limp in about 5 seconds. I use Jim's method where he showed how to lay down film without trapping air. It also works well for laying down large pieces without help from someone else. I use a cardboard tube, but you can use pvc pipe, etc. The roll keeps it from all being exposed to the air all at once and keeps it from being too limp to lay on the water properly.

• CluelessClueless Posts: 39Member ✭✭
    @WileECoyote @studebaker @NotSoFast
    Hi,
    Thanks guys, well at least I'm doing one thing right ... hahahahaha ... and have managed to keep my films dry B)
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, like @NotSoFast said, I also keep my film inside an air-conditioning house. I even bought a dehumidifier just to pull the moister out of the air (it really does help).