Little dimples in clear — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Little dimples in clear

So i just did a couple rc body's for a guy and last night i cleared the last one. Got back in my shop today after the day job and seen little dimples all over the car. The car body's are only for show so he was fine with me dipping the outside of the shell. Not really sure it made it any easier on me like i thought it would but oh well. Gonna try to wet sand them out some and hit with another coat of clear but do any of you guys know what would have caused this. Thanks

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 476Member ✭✭✭
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 206Member ✭✭✭
    Looks like fisheyes to me, sand reclear and hope you can bury them in that coat.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, you got contamination there man. Time to read up. Type "fisheye" into the search bar... And grab a snack... You are gonna be here a while.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Can i give it a good wash wet sand and reclear? Or is it something that i would have to start over to fix
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 206Member ✭✭✭
    Yes you can, wetsand as much of the fisheyes out before sanding through the clear. If you get 90% of them out the next coats of clear should bury them. If they are real bad, sand them and then put a couple extra coats of clear and sand and buff them out.
    Ok thanks
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,255Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    BUT you need to make sure and clean it very well FIRST. If you just start sanding, the contamination will just stay there or spread. You're going to need to narrow down the problem, or you'll just get more dimples in your next coat. Get some practice parts so you're not experimenting with the project.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,783Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

BUT you need to make sure and clean it very well FIRST. If you just start sanding, the contamination will just stay there or spread. You're going to need to narrow down the problem, or you'll just get more dimples in your next coat. Get some practice parts so you're not experimenting with the project.

You beat me to it about making sure to clean it really well before you sand, or you will just grind the bad stuff deeper into the clear.

I had this happen once before..and why? Cause when I cleaned out my clear gun, I accidentally misted the part with acetone. I knew right away i was in for a long clean up (sanding) session. Was in my "learning" days... like, learned to never do that again.

And remember that at the bottom of those dimples is where your microscopic contamination is... NO clear. And RIGHT below that is your print and paint. so if you are not careful when sanding, you are going to mess up your dip and have to start all over.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,715Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh oh - that’s not good