New to Dipping — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to Dipping

I want to start this off by saying I am very much new to this. Right now it is just a hobby and I will most likely never make a business out of it. Basically where I’m at is I bought some film from Big Brain Hydrographics and I just tried some dipping this weekend. I don’t really use a science because I’m still trying to find all the right settings. Some of the main problems I have had is the film not breaking off (if that makes sense). And also all my parts seem to have some sort of wrinkle in them. For anyone wondering I am just dipping chunks of wood that I have sanded down, my water temp is about 75-80 degrees. I usually tape all 4 sides and let it sit in the water until it wrinkles. I am really looking for any help I can get. I’m not really looking to spend hundreds of dollars because it is really just a hobby. But any tips you guys have (different setup, different film, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance.

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,321Administrator El Jefe
    90 degrees, 60 seconds of soak time and 2 passes of activator...
    And welcome to the forum!
  • TheRookieTheRookie Posts: 8Member
    @K2Concepts the longer I leave it in the more it spreads apart, idea on how to fix that?
    Also does anyone have any opinions on film sites that I can order online and have it shipped to me? Preferably one that doesn’t require someone to buy in bulk
    TheRookie said:

@K2Concepts the longer I leave it in the more it spreads apart, idea on how to fix that?

Use dams...
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,116Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    howdy and welcome to the forums.

Where ya from?

And like @K2Concepts said (he's the main man btw).. once you spray activator on the film, the ink starts to turn back to it's liquid form. Liquid will spread out..unless something is there to trap it.
    @smedlin I’m from Iowa, and is tape considered a good dam?
    TheRookie said:

@smedlin I’m from Iowa, and is tape considered a good dam?

Many people use tap as a dam.

Even those of us who have "true" dams, will sometimes use tape to get things "tighter"
    Thank you guys both, I’ll try it out when I get off work. Can you guys can think of any website to order off of? Or am I okay to stay with Big Brain? Once again thank you and god bless you both.
  • Mrbakaysa29Mrbakaysa29 Posts: 49Member
    @TheRookie you will never go wrong with @BigBrainGraphics or Any of the other forum sponsors.   
    I order all my stuff from either BB or One Hit Wonder Paint.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
    I want to thank all of you for helping me out. It turned out great! There are still a few things that need buffed out but I think it’s mainly operator error. Lol. Once again thank all of you and god bless you all. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,607Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Did you rinse that off? Make sure you have your head wrapped around the entire process. You can't dip directly to sanded wood and have it last. It will most likely stick temporarily. Basic process is:

Prep (sand, seal, prime, etc.)
    Paint (compatible paint, aerosols from Walmart usually do not work)
    Dip (90 degree water, 60 second soak, 2 passes activator or until film looks like glass)
    Rinse away all the slime (try not to rub it)
    Touch up (if needed)
    Apply a topcoat (matte or gloss, some aerosol topcoats will eat the film if you go too heavy. Be careful)

And have fun!
    I used cold water to rinse it off, that was a steel sign I cut out using a CNC cutter
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,607Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What paint and prep are you using?
    I am using the paint from BB (gunmetal Grey) and for prep, I ground it smooth. The I wiped the metal off, painted, let it dry, and dipped it
    Can't actually grind it smooth smooth. Need scratches on it for the paint to bite into.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 135Member ✭✭✭
    @TheRookie welcome to the forum. I just want to start of my saying watch all jims videos they will teach you a lot this is the best place to find all your info. I started dipping about a year ago and the guys on this forum are so helpful. And stick with forum sponsors even if it cost a few more dollars you will have a much better end product. This is a very fun process so take your time and enjoy it

@TheRookie welcome to the forum. I just want to start of my saying watch all jims videos they will teach you a lot this is the best place to find all your info. I started dipping about a year ago and the guys on this forum are so helpful. And stick with forum sponsors even if it cost a few more dollars you will have a much better end product. This is a very fun process so take your time and enjoy it

Well said...