Activation issues?? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activation issues??

So I am having a clouding or hazing issue with this one nation reduced pattern from TWN. Calls for NJM2010 which I get great results with on smaller items. This golf cart body however.... well it has been a pain in my arse.

Just tried the K2 superbrew... good activator but you have to move fast. still having the same issues. TWN.... well some people there think going to the forums is "Drinking the Kool-aide" but when your tech support starts to contradict itself, makes you wonder if they just want to make money! They are silent when a new can of activator is defective. At training they said they are not about making money... anyways.

here is the issue. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,867Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Looks like underactivation. Just put more SuperBrew on, and when you get more on there, you wont have to move so fast. That looks like its going to be a thirsty print. And TWN REALLY likes their products (and their cost), and will tell you they are the only ones that will work... and yet... No one around here uses them... and they make good parts.
  • libertyh20libertyh20 Posts: 19Member
    I did pile on more activator on some other stuff.... I was having the same issues... Ended up overactivating. Were talking 1 very fast pass from the results of what was seen here.

Yes I have about had it with them. Thing that sucks is they have a lot of nice brand name films.

• TroubleTrouble Posts: 287Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I use 3 parts Hydrovater cut with 1 1/2 parts xylene on TWN films with most of their patterns except Kryptek with very good results. I also soak an additionl 30 seconds on their films. 2 passes 20 to 30 second dwell time before dip. I have also used Mossy sauce so far it works on all TWN films I have tried, Muddy Girl regular and serenity, Oilfield camo and Kryptek Mandrake. I keep several activators in the shop I do not change my pass speed or gun height I keep those consistent every pass. I simply change activator when something does not work. I keep Mossy sauce, K2 Brew, Hydrovater and Dip Juice. When I figure out what works I write it down for future reference.
    thanks trouble! I do the same. I have used hydrovator befroe cut with Xylene.... I hate it lol. even mellowed down it is very aggressive and does not give the same results as I have gotten with 2010 and 3502's. I do have mossy sauce on hand but only use it for their patterns. Additionally, I have found this k2 super brew that I like very much. it seems that each film has its own activator. I try to stick with MFG recommendations. I am slowly figuring out that the film houses (some of them) could walk in a front yard, murder a child and never face any repercussions. It would be the homeowners fault lol
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I'm not sure if that is one of them, but a couple of American flag films don't like stretching at all. They fade fast with very little stretching.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,782Administrator El Jefe
    We use SuperBrew with that film...1.8 tip...

But yea TWN support? Are you kidding me?...It's just a sales man putting you on hold for a second while he changes his voice and then picks up again...

• mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 163Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    NotSoFast said:

I'm not sure if that is one of them, but a couple of American flag films don't like stretching at all. They fade fast with very little stretching.

I was going to say the same thing. I get the same effect when dipping in the "true flames" pattern. Any stretch at all and I get that weak faded look. Not sure how to handle that one though. I sometimes use a translucent color in my airbrush to touch up. I would use a Yellow with the true flames pattern. Not sure if you could use a translucent blue or maybe white to kind of hide the faded areas?

Oh yeah, and TWN. EERRRGGGHHH... That's all I can say about that.

We use SuperBrew with that film...1.8 tip...

But yea TWN support? Are you kidding me?...It's just a sales man putting you on hold for a second while he changes his voice and then picks up again...

Jeff said that you make people drink Koolaid.... I have gotten more helpful info from you jim than I have ever gotten from TWN.

NotSoFast said:

I was going to say the same thing. I get the same effect when dipping in the "true flames" pattern. Any stretch at all and I get that weak faded look. Not sure how to handle that one though. I sometimes use a translucent color in my airbrush to touch up. I would use a Yellow with the true flames pattern. Not sure if you could use a translucent blue or maybe white to kind of hide the faded areas?

NotSoFast said:

I think it is more possible it is a stretch issue. If I put on any more activator I am over activating. If you notice, the first part that hits is perfect it is only when the part is about half way in that the haze starts. I am going to try a steeper angle. I also tried the 1.8 tip setup. It is much easier on the nostrils but it does lay down the activator very nice.
    What about activating these fancy custom films they have floating around. I have had a hell of a time with them. 4 passes just to get the haze on the film to turn to glass...
  • preedpreed Posts: 374Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trips me out how everybody uses different activator and cut activator. I use straight hydrovator for everything. Not a problem.

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,855Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah! And @preed does a great job with his hydrovator. Just look at his latest accomplishment with hydrovator... Totally Amazing!

In a single dip with hardly any stretch. Some guys just have all the skills....

• gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 220Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    That is nice. What film is that?
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 768Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @preed that looks awesome, nice color in the film too @studebaker
    I have a good one about TWN, I called the other day for a customer selected film. Needed 2 - "3 meter packs" of the same film, so I said to the gal in customer service, "could you just make one roll of 6 meters instead of 2 separate rolls of 3 meters each" She says " if you do that there would be a 55$ roll off charge to do that.... now is that the dumbest thing you've ever heard.. really?? I told her, you're telling me it would cost more ($55) to roll out 6 meters, then it would be to roll out 3, then cut, and roll up, then roll out another 3, cut, and send out two cardboard tubes of the same amount of film that could have came on on one roll. Hmmm good business plan huh.. and then charge the customer 55 bucks to do something that would in reality would cost less.. when I called her out on it, she told me others have complained about that too. but it goes upon deaf ears. No wonder no one wants to use them.. they sure don't seem to like to work with dippers very much. crazy
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,855Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Libertyman I can't believe I am defending TWN.... All of their film is pre-packaged in 3-meter lengths. To roll out 6 meters requires the use of the rare and expensive manual labor. They charge $55 to discourage customers from requiring them to use high priced menial workers to accommodate customers who don't want to waste the last 2 feet of their prepackaged "3-meter" roll. Their business model is designed to encourage competitors to be customer oriented. You are a small blip on their radar screen of the customer seeking upper management. Just a small irritant that needs to be assuaged....

Was that a defense?.... :-)
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 220Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @preed - Did you use Flat, or Semi-Gloss?
  • preedpreed Posts: 374Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    @preed - Did you use Flat, or Semi-Gloss?
    It's actually Duratouch with flattening agent
    I had Studebaker make it for me, it's called Fireweed 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,782Administrator El Jefe
    preed said:

Trips me out how everybody uses different activator and cut activator. I use straight hydrovator for everything. Not a problem.

We used to do that...until we found out that our production dips turned out better when we switched activators...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator

preed said:

We used to do that...until we found out that our production dips turned out better when we switched activators...
    I definitely noticed an obvious difference in the brightness of colors over all and the darkness of blacks when stretched when I switched to Super Brew.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,948Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    preed said:

We did the same thing. Then we tested 6 different activators when we changed over our automated guns to the “non-atomizing air” type. The slight increase in cost/gallon of the “fancy” activators is more than offset by decreased touch up and better quality images. Much, much more consistent and better color depth than we had ever seen on all prints.