Hydro dip tank — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hydro dip tank

sgilbertsgilbert Posts: 6Member
Ok, im trying to start up hydro dipping.  I need tank ideas please.  Would like a good sized tank but on a budget.  Give me ideas on what to use and where i can find tanks.

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,116Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Honest advice...

Just start reading this forum. Spends a few days just going back over post. Specially in the "Dip Tank General Questions" section.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,093Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I would look in the "For Sale" section down below and buy a good used one. It's not cheap or easy to build a "proper" tank.
  • NWHNWH Posts: 37Member ✭✭
    sgilbert said:

Ok, im trying to start up hydro dipping.  I need tank ideas please.  Would like a good sized tank but on a budget.  Give me ideas on what to use and where i can find tanks.

Why? I always see this question i wonder why someone has chose to start a dipping company.
    Years ago there was only a handful of dippers now they are everywhere so what is it.
    Curiosity is killing this old cat.
    NWH said:

Why? I always see this question i wonder why someone has chose to start a dipping company.
    Years ago there was only a handful of dippers now they are everywhere so what is it.
    Curiosity is killing this old cat.

Cause you-tube makes it looks SO easy.

just toss some film in the water, then throw a part on it.. instant graphics.
  • sgilbertsgilbert Posts: 6Member
    First off, you dont know me or my situation, or my ideas so you can save the negative comments.  Im looking for advice, constructive advice. From anyone that has experience and have succeeded.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,607Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    sgilbert said:

First off, you dont know me or my situation, or my ideas so you can save the negative comments.  Im looking for advice, constructive advice. From anyone that has experience and have succeeded.

No offense meant! Used tanks just tend to be the best bang for the buck. There is a ton of advice and DIY tank info on this forum. If you’re set on building your own, definitely Start reading everything you can. You’ll get an idea of what a tank needs. People have used IBC containers, watering troughs, and milk tanks, etc. Just be safe and ready for a long road. The honest truth is that this process is difficult and expensive, but we are here to give you the best advice we can if you choose to take it. A few on here (like myself and the head of this forum, Jim) do this full time as our sole income dipping thousands of parts per week. Others are like @NotSoFast who works at a vinyl shop who added Hydro to their business. Yet others like @smedlin are hobbyists trying to make a buck on the side. Any of us will tell you the same thing. It’s expensive and difficult. Look seriously into quality training and be prepared to invest some $ in starting up.
  • NWHNWH Posts: 37Member ✭✭
    I think his comment was directed at me. But the truth of the matter is what motivates you to start this type of work?
    Most new to the industry always say there is no one in my area so i will make a killing.
    If you are coming on here stating that you are trying to start a business on a shoe string budget looking for advice on how or what size tank will you need then to be honest you need to go back to your business plan and either rewrite it or at least reevaluate it because there will tell you the size of tank need (aka what type of parts?).
    What is your targeted customer?
    Are you doing along side another business?
    Are you doing this out of your garage?
    Are you going to be trained professionally?
    Are you just want the shortcut to get up and running?
    Without some of these questions answered it is hard to determine anything.
    Now if you are wondering if I a professional ya maybe I do this thing full time and have been in the industry since 2006 so i do have a idea on how to make a go at this.
    NWH
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,607Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    ^^^ 100% correct.
    Ok, i appreciate al that.  Was a quality engineer for 15 years and in the auto industry 20yrs.  Im a trained painter and trained powder coater.  I just have some ideas of nitches here locally and would like to do this full time when im ready and can do quality work.  Yes im on a budget, i dint want to go buy a professional system until i know it supports it, so looking to build one to get started. Thanks for the feedback.
    That’s a fantastic start and your skills will certainly help. Some of the best DIY tanks I’ve seen are just DIY welded up from stainless (like a pro tank) w correct breaks in the side and a control panel for the heaters and pump. Other good ones were from Bulk milk tanks. These are the best quality DIY. The plastic IBC totes and others do work, but just aren’t going to hold up to a lot of work. If you’re looking at doing auto parts and ATV/off road parts, go minimum 1 meter x 2.5 meters. My working area is 1 meter by 2.2 meters (88”) and I was told it was the smallest size for ATV’s. I wish I would have gone larger.
    Awesome ty, I seen one made from an Oil containment poly tank.  Any thoughts?
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,449Member ✭✭✭✭
    And you may also wanna consider trouble from the town with zoning and permits . Different parts of the country have very different rules to follow if you wanna open a legit business. And keep looking in the for sale section in the long run its easier to buy used plus most people sell the films and other equipment with it
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭✭
    @sgilbert Ive seen alot of homemade tanks with them or a galvanized livestock water tank. You can get those in different sizes pretty cheap. 
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @sgilbert - Speaking from experience, it will be cheaper and easier to come up with a small budget and see if anyone has a tank, search craigslist, etc. The money you will spend to build one or have someone build it for you will be better spent buying a used tank. I think @dipdemon, @kansashydro and a few others may have used ones or may locate one that's not to expensive. I had a small stainless tank built a few years ago and it compared nothing to one specially built for what your looking to do. I am actually going to be buying a tank in a couples months and I will probably just buy a nice used tank.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,321Administrator El Jefe
    sgilbert said:

That would be the guys that have already commented...
    I appreciate all that have commented.
    I want to do this the right way, I appreciate all the comments, and welcome all suggestions and advice.
    Really, probably the most important thing to ask.. is what's your budget?
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 100Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    sgilbert said:

I want to do this the right way, I appreciate all the comments, and welcome all suggestions and advice.

Cool, then here is my advise. You get out what you put in. Used tanks and used equipment you will have to be real careful with. I would look at the best deals on new equipment. PA hydro for example. You use one of his tanks your customers will appreciate it. If this is a full time gig and your expecting full time results then don't skimp. Think of it like this, If you walk into a body shop to get your prize possession painted and the guy uses harbor freight paint guns, cheap paint, second hand sanders, old tape machines and when you pick up your ride it looks marginal... How ya gonna feel? Scroll down through the "sponsor forums" section of this forum you will find some really great people making the best stuff out there.
    Good luck and use this forum to your advantage. There is a TON of valuable info on here.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,321Administrator El Jefe

sgilbert said:

Cool, then here is my advise. You get out what you put in. Used tanks and used equipment you will have to be real careful with. I would look at the best deals on new equipment. PA hydro for example. You use one of his tanks your customers will appreciate it. If this is a full time gig and your expecting full time results then don't skimp. Think of it like this, If you walk into a body shop to get your prize possession painted and the guy uses harbor freight paint guns, cheap paint, second hand sanders, old tape machines and when you pick up your ride it looks marginal... How ya gonna feel? Scroll down through the "sponsor forums" section of this forum you will find some really great people making the best stuff out there.
    Good luck and use this forum to your advantage. There is a TON of valuable info on here.
    Very well said...