Dipping over powder coating — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dipping over powder coating

norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
I searched, but didn't find my answer. If I have a powder coated tumbler, can I scuff the powder coat and dip to it then clear? I have a customer that is going to supply already powder coated tumblers. Thanks

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,449Member ✭✭✭✭
    You will need to scuff and hit with a intercoat clear since the powdercoat will already be cured by the time you get them @norcalfrank .
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    looch said:

You will need to scuff and hit with a intercoat clear since the powdercoat will already be cured by the time you get them @norcalfrank .

Thanks Looch
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,607Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I’ve heard of some people having success just scuffing and dipping Direct. It all depends on what type of powder was used in the process. Some brands may work, others may not.
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this works, seen on one of the facebook groups. It said wipe down good with acetone and then dip to item.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,116Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this works, seen on one of the facebook groups. It said wipe down good with acetone and then dip to item.

and it was immediately debunked.
    I guess I should try one for myself. I have 16 20oz tumblers to do. They are the Ozark Trails tumblers from Walmart. Also need to figure out a price. I usually get $50/each dipped for them when I supply the tumbler. I was thinking around $35/ea to do 16 tumblers if they supply the tumbler, and especially if I can scuff them and dip then clear. Would save some labor and paint.
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    smedlin said:

and it was immediately debunked.
    It depends, I actually powder coat and I have had acetone come into contact and it can alter the Powder coat. I have not intentionally rubbed acetone on PC and dipped to it though. Me personally I would sand the cup and maybe wipe down with acetone.

I guess I should try one for myself. I have 16 20oz tumblers to do. They are the Ozark Trails tumblers from Walmart. Also need to figure out a price. I usually get $50/each dipped for them when I supply the tumbler. I was thinking around $35/ea to do 16 tumblers if they supply the tumbler, and especially if I can scuff them and dip then clear. Would save some labor and paint.

The wife has put decals on several of those colored wall mart tumblers. Then clear coated them. All we did was scuff them really good with a red scotch pad. Have had no issues.
    smedlin said:

The wife has put decals on several of those colored wall mart tumblers. Then clear coated them. All we did was scuff them really good with a red scotch pad. Have had no issues.
    Have you ever dipped on the powder coat?
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,449Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another nail in the coffin for guys dipping cups 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,545Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We said it 2 years ago... If you are trying to make a business off of dipping tumblers, you are already dead.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thing is nobody just wants a dipped cup. They want it customized to them. I wouldn't try building a business around it but I think they will be just fine

smedlin said:

Have you ever dipped on the powder coat?
    No, but as somebody said, scuff it and intercoat it.

I really don't see the dip sticking to straight powder coat once it's been cured and cleared.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,078Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've dipped to the powder coated cups using the method smedlin said. I just scuffed intercoat cleared with ohw and dipped. Came out great
    Looks like I talked him into stainless, so I'll just do my normal process on them. Thanks guys.
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 670Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    edited November 17

We said it 2 years ago... If you are trying to make a business off of dipping tumblers, you are already dead.

And yet it took two years..., I'll take anything for 2 years at a time, but then I just received a repeat order from a company for 125 more with their logo on it. Damn the luck!! B)
    Agreed you won't do enough tumblers to sustain your business by themselves but custom tumblers are just one more thing to offer.

And yet it took two years..., I'll take anything for 2 years at a time, but then I just received a repeat order from a company for 125 more with their logo on it. Damn the luck!! B)
    Agreed you won't do enough tumblers to sustain your business by themselves but custom tumblers are just one more thing to offer.
    I typically charge $50 for a 1 tumbler order. But I have 16 to do and that is the most I have gotten ot one time. What might be a fair price to do them at that quantity. They will all be the same paint and film.
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 670Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @norcalfrank I think you're about right, but with the way the prices have been dropping on the tumblers, I now charge $35 for the hydrographics, extra if it's a special film or paint, and then the cost of the tumbler and logo, (if I supply it) plus 30% oh & p, which makes the 30 oz. tumbler orders come out to about $45 ea. You can now get the "Members Mark" tumblers from Sam's for about $5.50 each with tax when you buy 50 at a time. They look like the Yeti's but have no stamped name anywhere on them.
    Remember..., doing more doesn't always equate to significant savings.
    Thanks @SingleAction52 I'll try and figure out a reasonable price for this order. It's my dentist, and he has really taken care of me in the past.
  • RedneckrayRedneckray Posts: 218Member ✭✭
    I have had good luck with the tumbler being Powercoated and scuff with lite gray 3M pad, dip it as usual and then I let it dry for about 2 hours then I coat it with clear Powdercoating and it works fine for me doing it this way, I use TigerDrylac powder and it makes a difference in Powder
    Ended up getting stainless tumblers and painting them. Thanks all!