New to this, dipping a Yamaha Vstar — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to this, dipping a Yamaha Vstar

brittctbrittct Posts: 6Member
Hey guys, new to hydro dipping. Didn't really know where to post this but since it's a motorcycle I figured I'd post it here. Just bought some starter stuff and am going to practice some dipping before I tackle my own bike. Any tips on what I should specifically try to perfect before I do my bike? I am just doing one design, no stripes or flames. Just gonna keep it simple. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• schidroschidro Posts: 286Member ✭✭✭
    Many many many practice dips, beer & practice. Did I mention a whole lot of practice? If you have not dipped before I would definitely start with something a lot smaller & much eaiser. What size take do you have?
  • brittctbrittct Posts: 6Member
    Do not have a tank yet. In the process of building one. Gonna be real basic. Not gonna be dipping for profit or as a business. Just a hobby. Gonna start out doing Yeti cups, things of that size and slowly work my way up.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭✭
    @brittct yeah practice on speed shapes and just odd stuff you got laying around. Motorcycle tanks are tricky because of the buoyancy of the tank so do some practice with that without film to get a feel for it
    Great thanks for the feedback, is there any designs you would recommend staying away from because of difficulty? Or about all designs the same?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,488Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Its gonna be a year or more, and several thousand dollars before you can attempt a motorcycle. Be realistic, and don't let the idea that this is a cheap hobby that you can make most of the components for, fool you.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,059Member, Moderator El Moderator

Its gonna be a year or more, and several thousand dollars before you can attempt a motorcycle. Be realistic, and don't let the idea that this is a cheap hobby that you can make most of the components for, fool you.

Agreed. Looking back, I wouldn't have even attempted a motorcycle in my first year of dipping. Just keep in mind, even a "hobby" setup is going to cost you about $10k. Dipping several times a week, a year sounds about right as a starting point for a bike.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,516Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited November 9
    Please don’t take offense to what is being said. We just see this about once a month and I myself was guilty as well. “There’s this Awesome process called hydrographics that I saw on YouTube! I want to try it myself on my motorcycle. How do I start?” To put it simply, it’s just not that easy. You will save money in the long run by sending it to a pro. I promise.

If you just want to have fun? That’s fine! It’s a cool process. We just want you to have realistic expectations. Many people come into this thinking they can take their existing bike, and dip skulls over the existing paint. Unfortunately it just doesn’t work like that. Do you have any automotive paint or auto body experience? You will be doing an entire professional paint job with a dip in the middle. Basic steps would be degrease and clean everything well, Scuff/sand, fill and repair anything that is needed, Prime, sand smooth, paint, dip (multiple dips on some parts and changing angles depending on the parts), touch up w airbrush or other method, then clear coat (which was an entire learning curve in itself).

We will be here to help you along the way! Just start by reading through this forum and other auto painting forums online. Learn what is involved and then get some practice parts like speed shapes or light switch cover plates and practice. It will be quite some time before you’ll be ready for your bike.
    Sorry if I seemed like I was jumping the gun too quickly. I have had some painting experience with a 1968 mustang I restored. I just bought a new fairing and that is what really needs to be dipped. It came already painted with a special paint that does not need to be primed. Anyway like I said I am just gonna be doing this as a hobby, probably do some Yeti cups, and small things like that for family and friends and slowly work my way up. I am reading the forums and trying to learn all that I can. I will most likely end up taking it to someone to get dipped. Especially if I decide to do my whole bike. I really appreciate the feedback.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,061Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13
    I do it has a hobby. For about 9 months now.

And i recently did a full chopper bike.

But.. I also went to two different 3 day training classes and SLOWLY worked (failed and learned) my way up to bigger things.

Nothing wrong with doing it as a hobby and not as a "living".

But the equipment is pretty much the same. Maybe just not as "big".

But the process is the same. There is no "hobby" process/procedure.

If you really want to do it, even as a hobby, spend a few grand on some training. It will actually save you money.

smedlin said:

But.. I also went to two different 3 day training classes and SLOWLY worked (failed and learned) my way up to bigger things.

If you really want to do it, even as a hobby, spend a few grand on some training. It will actually save you money.

Okay great! I have been looking into come classes
    brittct said:

smedlin said:

Okay great! I have been looking into come classes
    Great idea. Remember not all classes are the same. Several of the forum sponsors and Jim, the forum owner offer good training. Lots of members have attended others before and then ones from sponsors and said the others were pretty much a waste of money in comparison. Where are you located? There might be one (relatively) near you.
    Greensboro nc
    brittct said:

Greensboro nc

OK. @onehitwonder has a class at his shop in Atlanta. That's about as close as you are going to find, I believe.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,587Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    We MAY be setting a class for February- otherwise, you can text me with questions

305-318-1468 JJ