Outlets in paint booth — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outlets in paint booth

smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
Is it ok to have electrical outlets inside a paint booth?

I've wondered that for awhile.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I would say no...

We weren't allowed to have any electrical within 3ft of the booth opening. Lights must be vapor tight, and have a switch that won't allow the booth to be on if the sealed covers aren't in place.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea, that's what I figured.

in the process of expanding my little home made booth. New design will be big enough that it expands on some outlets I had run a few years ago.

Going to have to move them...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you put water proof boxes in I would think it would be safe. A homemade booth is never going to pass inspection anyway (most likely).
    Would I be able to use the outlets? Plug lights and exhaust fans into them?

if I can't use them, might as well as either remove them or just put full face plates over them.
    smedlin said:

Would I be able to use the outlets? Plug lights and exhaust fans into them?

if I can't use them, might as well as either remove them or just put full face plates over them.

No, I just thought you didn't want to go through the trouble of removing them. May be handy for a shop vac for cleaning the filters. But I wouldn't use them while painting. Then again I've seen guys put a regular box fan with non-sealed motor in the window as an exhaust fan. Ultimately your decision. LOL
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    They would have to be NEMA rated...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,162Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Not worth the accident.
  • abrantabrant Posts: 28Member
    I have outlets in my booth but they are covered and breakers are off to them. I use them when I am not painting to use the shop vac and other stuff to clean the room
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    abrant said:

I have outlets in my booth but they are covered and breakers are off to them. I use them when I am not painting to use the shop vac and other stuff to clean the room

It didn't say you could not have them...it's just illegal per NFPA 33...that's the National Fire Protection Association...and I bet they are not NEMA rated so that's an NEC violation there as well...and if you built it yourself? Well, there is probably no EPA number to certify the booth as well...SMH...
    Old thread.

I kept the outlets in the paint booth.

But I covered them up...replaced the covers with those 'solid' covers, then sealed them with tape
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,162Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @abrant until the day you forget to turn off the breakers. Not saying that its a big deal for you, because you may not spray that much... But if you are a business... that's playing with fire, literally. Designate a vacuum for the purpose, and put a longer cord on the vac you use. Put an outlet outside of the zone, and never worry about it again. On top of that, who wants to mask off the outlets every time they spray booth envelope? Then tie the gun air into the ventilation air, and you can never spray unless you have the air on.