Spots in clear coat — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spots in clear coat

pblizpbliz Posts: 170Member ✭✭
This just started happening when spraying clearcoat. I will get a little uneven, splatter looking spot. Would this be water coming out of air hose?  I do have a water separator but just a cheap one. Time anyways to invest in a better 3-1 filter, lubricator , regulator. Or is this from something else? I can wet sand and buff but curious what is causing this.

Comments

• norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 943Member ✭✭✭
    That looks like some sort of contamination to me. Maybe something on your glove and touched that spot. You are getting tons of orange peel too. You need to adjust your gun settings. What pressure and gun are you shooting with?
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 170Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yeah could be , it sat for a week or so . I'm using Air gunsa 1.3 @ 21psi. My distance when spraying was too far away I think.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,947Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeeeep... That spot is Fisheye. Welcome to the club :lol: Contamination for sure.

And yes, also orange peel is pretty bad. Go heavier and let it flow. Clear is an art. If you're afraid of getting runs, you'll never get a glassy clear coat. You have to be right at that line where it wants to run onto the floor, but don't cross it. What clear are you using?
    edited November 2017
    Thanks guys, I knew you could help. Yeah your absolutely right,  I'm light on the coats but will  have to go heavier and let it flow.  I'm using ohw gloss.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,947Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah OHW will lay like glass. Great clear. No problems on that side of things. I like shooting gloss w/ my supernova at 19lbs. JJ recommends 30-35lbs I believe... @onehitwonder can help. Try bumping your pressure a bit to help it atomize, and add more. You don't have to open your fluid knob and add it in one pass, you can build it up. Just keep spraying until you see it start to flow, then stop. Maybe Jason can explain it better when he chimes in. I'm horrible at describing with words.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,767Administrator El Jefe
    Silicates...fish eye...
    Weird shape for fisheyes. Silica usually leaves a much rounder hole. Possibly some oil or other contamination?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,767Administrator El Jefe
    Fisheye doesn't always have to be round...anytime something is coming up through the clear and looking for air? It's almost always fisheye and a contaminant...ask me how I know?...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,864Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I have mentioned this to a few others lately (although this one really does look like a fisheye). Its getting drier out, static is going to start to be an issue, especially in your clear, and on plastic. Static does present itself as what looks like a fisheye at times, and smaller bits of contamination will be an issue that wouldn't be the rest of the year. Just something to be aware of.
    I will write this one off as contamination. I cleared a tumbler at same time and it came out great.  

Fisheye doesn't always have to be round...anytime something is coming up through the clear and looking for air? It's almost always fisheye and a contaminant...ask me how I know?...

I guess. I was taught by painters that fisheye was specifically a piece of silica that paint would not stick to and run off, making a round crater type hole. Semantics I guess.

I guess. I was taught by painters that fisheye was specifically a piece of silica that paint would not stick to and run off, making a round crater type hole. Semantics I guess.
    Yes, that’s true and 100% correct. If there is one tiny spot of contamination, that would be how it appears. This is just a larger area where a bunch of silicates are in an area, and it displays like this. I hope that makes sense.

Yes, that’s true and 100% correct. If there is one tiny spot of contamination, that would be how it appears. This is just a larger area where a bunch of silicates are in an area, and it displays like this. I hope that makes sense.
    It does. I just thought it might be something else other than silica since the holes where different looking in shape than silica holes.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    edited November 2017

It does. I just thought it might be something else other than silica since the holes where different looking in shape than silica holes.
    You seem to be confusing "silica" which is basically sand with a "silicate" which is in just about everything from oil, to certain polishes, deodorant, waxes, and literally thousands of other things.

"Silicon dioxide, also known as silica, is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO₂, most commonly found in nature as quartz and in various living organisms. In many parts of the world, silica is the major constituent of sand."

"Silicate. A salt or ester of silicic acid, esp one of a large number of usually insoluble salts with polymeric negative ions having a structure formed of tetrahedrons of SiO 4 groups linked in rings, chains, sheets, or three dimensional frameworks. Silicates constitute a large proportion of the earth's minerals and are present in cement and glass"
    As above, I was talking about silica.
    Ok yeah it’s not silica. But silicates. Think silicone caulk and how you can’t paint pure silicone. That’s what we mean. Not sand. I misunderstood what you meant.