Issue with rifle stock — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issue with rifle stock

IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,303Member ✭✭✭✭
OKay, never had this happen before but today I was dipping a rifle stock and when it came to the butt part of it, the film didn't even come together to make a seam. Could see it as I was dipping and knew what was going to happen. What caused this? Too much of an angle? I thought I was starting to flatten out as it got to the butt but maybe not enough? What about speed, last times I went fairly slow and it worked great. Should you finish off a little faster similar to a gun barrel?

I'm not posting all the particulars since I'm fairly sure this had to be technique related. ;)

Comments

• mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 163Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    It looks to me that the water beat ya to the spot. Dipping guns is tricky in one hit. I usually just tape and do half at a time. gonna have a seam anyway.
    When I was at the Ohio training I saw Mr. @K2Concepts dip the stock in like 1 millisecond. He got the part close to the water and WHAMMO . It worked great for him. I on the other hand have not had that type of success. So, I just tape them off and dip one side at a time.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,228Member ✭✭✭✭
    50/50 Dip and send it on its way
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 943Member ✭✭✭
    I have been rolling them, but would like to try going straight in to see how it works for me. I see other guys doing it on the net, so I know it's possible.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,572Member ✭✭✭✭
    I watched big brains at the ohio remote do it in one shot like it was nothing. Slow and steady 
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,303Member ✭✭✭✭
    @looch, and that's how I've done the ones before and it worked flawlessly. That's why I'm thinking maybe I had too much of an angle. I'll see what Mr. @K2Concepts has to say regarding this.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,948Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We roll everything now, but if you go straight in, you can go slow for the forend to help get in the checkering, then go fast for the last bit right before it gets to the back of the action recess. Also back tape around that whole recess.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 943Member ✭✭✭

We roll everything now, but if you go straight in, you can go slow for the forend to help get in the checkering, then go fast for the last bit right before it gets to the back of the action recess. Also back tape around that whole recess.

Would it be better to go a bit slower on the part of the stock that touches your face (butt part of the stock) since it would be a much longer area in height?
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do a half at a time. It can be rolled, but you'll be happier with the result if you just tape it off and dip it one side at a time. The shittiest blue tap is the best, it doesn't need to stick well...
    \
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,782Administrator El Jefe
    Smitty said:

Do a half at a time. It can be rolled, but you'll be happier with the result if you just tape it off and dip it one side at a time. The shittiest blue tap is the best, it doesn't need to stick well...
    \

You never cease to amaze me...nice to see you back again...
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    I actually figured the forum would have been closed down, and trump had deported you.

I was mistaken
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,948Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Would it be better to go a bit slower on the part of the stock that touches your face (butt part of the stock) since it would be a much longer area in height?
    Nah. It’ll be fine. I always prefer roll or half and half.
  • NWHNWH Posts: 43Member ✭✭
    I hit most of them in a single dip

@NWH just a friendly warning, some guys have been contacted by Moonshine for applying incorrect bases under Muddy Girl and plastering Facebook with the photos... They said Moonshine told them the "Freedom" pattern was developed for other bases and only the pink base is to be used with Muddy Girl. I was guilty as well... LOL
    Yep they have said something to us to we reminded them it was the dippers that took it to the extreme that allowed them to come up with new patterns. That being said when they first started out how do you think wildfire came to be.
    NWH said:

Yep they have said something to us to we reminded them it was the dippers that took it to the extreme that allowed them to come up with new patterns. That being said when they first started out how do you think wildfire came to be.

I agree 100%.
    Do you offer gunsmithing/assembly/dissassembly of firearms also when they are brought? Our liability insurance was going to increase substantially if we did. We have to require them to come to us disassembled.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,782Administrator El Jefe
    Smitty said:

I actually figured the forum would have been closed down, and trump had deported you.

I was mistaken

Do you offer gunsmithing/assembly/dissassembly of firearms also when they are brought? Our liability insurance was going to increase substantially if we did. We have to require them to come to us disassembled.

We request that they disassemble prior to bringing them to us. As I always say we are not gunsmiths.
    That being said I have walk customers through the breakdown here at the shop then they took all the parts that are not here for coating.
    @NWH - I see you posted with your pics that you hit most with a single hit but not explain HOW you do it. Do you enter the water with it fairly flat? Just the pics alone don't really help me any ;)
    Well I don't know how to explain it but the best way is to fixture from top side dip at a 45 use tape to make print go were you want.
    Otherwise I have dipped 1000's of stocks and guns. Practice, Practice, Practice learn from mistakes that is the best way to get it right the more you do the better you will get.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,419Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe I have a video from Jim doing one at the Ohio Remote. I'll look for it
    So for anyone else wanting to know, it turns out the above result was due to too much of an angle. I redid it and flattened it out more and it worked perfectly. I also went a little faster when I submerged the butt end of the stock and the seam is nice
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 163Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Bamo ! Got both of ya... @K2Concepts & @DeviousDips

That was a good time with some great people there
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,475Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see a video on prepping a rifle stock.
    smedlin said:

Would love to see a video on prepping a rifle stock.

Pretty uneventful. Lol. Degrease, Blast w 100 grit AO, blow w air, wipe down again, adhesion promoter, Aqualac, Dip
    @WileECoyote you forgot order dominos pizza in there sumwhere lol. And another beer run
  • pblizpbliz Posts: 173Member ✭✭
    What do you guys use or recommend for Adhesion Promoter?