Film not "liquifying" . Hydration or activator. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Film not "liquifying" . Hydration or activator.

I've got a problem here.
Using Raptor Diamond plate from BB (a big dawg film I think?)
32.4c water
60 second hydration period. I've also tried 90 secs. too.
1.5 gun @15psi air only, trigger in .
Using OHW Ink Drink.

Item being dipped is backside top surface only of a bike fender. Minimal wrap/stretch.

The problem? The film just stays in a liquefied gel like state and regardless of how many activator passes, with cut tape edges on the film, it won't drift apart. Thus allowing no stretch. While various passes were tried to the point of flood out and different degrees of glass out were seen, no true "just Ink floating on the surface". Is this a sign of a film just being just incompatible with Ink Drink?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,923Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Some photos or a video would help tremendously.
  • NightinGaleNightinGale Posts: 32Member
    And oh yeah sticky side down and all that! Someone was bound to ask!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,923Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    A video would be ideal. Did you dip through the film at all? Some films are absolutely much more “thick” or slimy when dipping. Particularly ones with more ink.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,842Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really just a matter of more hydration time before you apply the activator... Cut a small piece of that film and float it on the water. Then at 90 seconds push your finger through it unactivated. Test again with another piece, unactivated at 2 minutes... Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Until it wraps around your finger properly.

Also, some films don't pass the "sticky thumb" test. Look at the reflection of the film in a slanted light, the dull side goes up and the shiny side goes to the water. What you have described is that the film is indeed up side down... Really... If the activator won't melt the ink AT ALL, the ink is on the other side. You can also put a little activator on a small piece of the film on the cutting table to see if the ink liquifies.... Then you will know for sure which side is up.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,753Administrator El Jefe
    That whole "Shiney side" doesn't work either...we have several films we use that the shiny side goes up...and that's weird Alan, I have never had a film not pass the "sticky side down" test...

Now back to the problem at hand? Grab some Hydrovator or TWN3502 and hit the film with that and see if it gets a little better...if it does then you will have to wait an extra 30 seconds after activation and see if the film "releases" and starts to flow...there are 3 or 4 films out there that no matter how much activator you pound on them? They just don't flow well...until you wait for an extra 30 to 45 seconds after activation...weird but yea...

and that's weird Alan, I have never had a film not pass the "sticky side down" test...

Same here. But I definitely haven’t used every film out there.
  • NightinGaleNightinGale Posts: 32Member
    Thanks people. Had some severe weather last night. Lots of outside cleanup to do.Will get back to the tank later to try your hints.