Preping an already painted project — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preping an already painted project

I wanted to know... if a customer comes in with a peice that is aleady painted and finshed but wants it painted a different color .. three infact and then dipped and cleared of course... what would be the best way to go on that and how would you price it... saddle bags and a glove box and a helmet fot a 2003 can am spyder.. 

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,819Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited October 2017
    If existing finish is in good shape, you just need to scuff or sand, then paint it. I would go ahead and smooth it out w 400 grit so you start with a flat base layer. Get out all the factory orange peel. Then just paint, Dip, Clear.

Still go with normal pricing. You’re still doing all the same work as if it were not painted. 50 cents per square inch is a good start. But remember Don’t under value your work.
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    And make sure this is a 2k paint. If this is someone's "project" you might end up lifting the finish, depending on what you are using. If there is any doubt, rough it up and use a water based paint. Less chance of having a wrinkled mess on your hands.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,242Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

If there is any doubt, rough it up and use a water based paint. Less chance of having a wrinkled mess on your hands.

Why is that? How would water base act different?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,819Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    smedlin said:

If there is any doubt, rough it up and use a water based paint. Less chance of having a wrinkled mess on your hands.

Why is that? How would water base act different?
    Water base is less aggressive and won't lift the paint below. If you put certain solvent based paints on top of others it can sometimes make the layers below wrinkle up. It's it's a quality paint job w/ 2k clear over it, it's rarely an issue. If someone decided to use a single stage rattle can clear? Different story.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,242Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    What type of paint is OHW and Nanochem?

I know it's been talked about before, but i don't remember.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,235Member ✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin they are both solvents
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Also remember to degrease the parts BEFORE scuffing so you don't grind any impurities into the paint below.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    This is why most of the guys who have been doing this for a while have multiple types of paints in their shop. If you enjoy one type of paint, that's great, but you may be making more work for yourself at times. Dissimilar bases don't react with each other.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,571Administrator El Jefe

This is why most of the guys who have been doing this for a while have multiple types of paints in their shop. If you enjoy one type of paint, that's great, but you may be making more work for yourself at times. Dissimilar bases don't react with each other.

This...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator

Yep. I used some white (original formula) OHW as a base for some green Low Country and the whole thing wrinkled up like crazy.