Booth Vetilation — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Booth Vetilation

rwrogers11rwrogers11 Posts: 23Member
Instead of pulling the AC air out of the shop, has anyone put a vent through the roof for incoming air as well as one for exhaust?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,516Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Check w you’re local codes. This is required where I am. If you’re exhausting a certain amount of air, that same amount must be reintroduced some way. But you’re not going to get around extracting your AC unless you have a completely enclose booth with make up air incoming.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,488Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, we did it in all of our booths, it ain't cheap. But it's a better control over the air in your booth
  • rwrogers11rwrogers11 Posts: 23Member
    Cool, thanks. Where do I find info on how much ventilation, how many filters, fan size, etc. for a booth. Looking to build a booth around 9x9 or 10x10, something along that size.

I know I want the incoming air to come in from the top or near the top, and the exhaust down low and near the door.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,516Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited October 23
    Are you planning to just duct the make-up air into a closed booth from outside? I see that you're in TX, but if temp starts dropping that's not going to work for long. Summer shouldn't be an issue. Usually booths like this use a make up air furnace to keep the air consistent temperature.

You'll want at minimum 100 fpm across the user. You calculate this by using the cross sectional area of the booth. For example, My booth is 7ft x 10ft open faced, which is 70 sq ft. and pulls 8750cfm. 8750/70 = 125 linear feet per minute.
    Check out the booths at auto body toolmart. They have some great prices.
    https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/paint-booths-c-959.aspx
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,198Administrator El Jefe
    7x10 = 8000 cfm...10x10 will need 10,000 cfm...
    Cool, thanks for the info, wasn't thinking of incoming air temp. I could always do a T in the duct with a damper, so in the winter it pulls from inside the shop but in the summer it pulls from outside.

Cool, thanks for the info, wasn't thinking of incoming air temp. I could always do a T in the duct with a damper, so in the winter it pulls from inside the shop but in the summer it pulls from outside.

Well, that's precisely what I'm getting at. That isn't allowed in my municipality (which is all I can speak for directly). Air from inside your shop isn't make up air. At minimum I must have automatic dampers in the wall that would open when the booth is turned on. If you just draw from inside, your shop will create a vacuum and decrease air flow substantially, which doesn't remove the fumes efficiently. If someone forgets to turn on our Air Make Up Unit and the booth is on, you can barely open the doors because of the suction. In summer we just open the garage doors and don't use the make up air. But when temp starts to drop below 70 in the shop (get a wall thermometer) we have to turn on the heat. If you're going to go legit and get the proper permits, get ready to open an expensive can of worms.
    Well I guess one thing we have going for us down here, it only gets below 70 for about 1 month.
    Whats the ideal temp for shop / booth?
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,150Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd say between 70 - 75 would be perfect IMO!
    IceMaster said:

I'd say between 70 - 75 would be perfect IMO!
    Yep. We won't paint below 70. If the thermometer is flirting with dropping below that, we close up the shop and turn on the make up air furnace. Our paint starts to not dry as efficiently and my guys will start getting runs if we aren't careful. At this point of painting thousands of the exact same parts, my guys are pretty much like robots. They lay the paint on hot and heavy and it's difficult for them to adjust to drastically different environmental changes. You would probably be fine once you learn how your paint lays down at various temps.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,488Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We would paint down to 60, but the guys would be complaining the whole time. But that also depends on humidity... Cold dry air is easier to deal with than cold wet.