Paint Booth Permit — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paint Booth Permit

rwrogers11rwrogers11 Posts: 23Member
Does anyone in Texas know who I need to contact to see what permits I'll need. I plan on a DIY paint booth, so it won't fit a vehicle in it.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I highly doubt you will get a permit for a DIY booth. There are too many regulations to deal with. If you’re going DIY, just keep quiet. If you want to get permitted, be ready to shell out cash for the proper equipment.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    IF you get it permitted? They are going to want a EPA # on it...every manufacturer has an EPA # attached to their paint booths so they are verified to legally remove the right amount of particulates and OSHA approved...and if you don't have that number? You ain't gonna get through plan check...better off buying one if you want to go legit...
  • rwrogers11rwrogers11 Posts: 23Member
    Cool, Thanks.
    Just called Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, for a small paint booth that you can't put a vehicle in, and using less that 100 Gallons of paint per year, we don't need a permit. However we do have to have an exhaust stack that is 1.5 times the height of the building.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That is great information! Check your local fire codes also. We ran into additional regulations with our county/city.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,161Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Fire inspector is for sure going to have some additional info for you

Fire inspector is for sure going to have some additional info for you

Yup...
    Cool, will do.
  • libertyh20libertyh20 Posts: 25Member
    I bought an ICA Duster 3000 It is HAZLOCK Certified and can bypass most of your local regulations including fire supression systems. They are a pretty penny but it keeps up with heavy painting and atomization.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,161Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah... that thing had to be expensive. I installed a few SAS ductless fume hoods for primer "spot painting" and fume extractors for hand striping operations... they were damn expensive too.
  • libertyh20libertyh20 Posts: 25Member
    Shoot ain't none of this stuff cheap! I have a buddy in mo who built his own, run the oversprat collection through filters then exhausted it somehow into a water bath. EPA approved it. It will really depend on the local inspector and if they are laid back or not. Or if they have a buddy who does hydrographics you might run into some problems.

Best bet.... When dealing with the government think like Charmin ultra "less is more". The less descriptive you are the more chances for success.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    Yea I did the "less is more" approach...those suckers made me go through every single BS requirement they could think of...I just had to tough it out until they finally passed my business...upside is we are legal...they can never say we have not complied...
    Yeah, we had 7 booths that were "water wash" and that includes a "venturi" that has a cone spray of water that the air passes through. A chemical in the water "kills" the paint. Makes a nice solid sludge in your tank after a while but sure beats changing filters.