Is it possible to get a mis marked can from OHW.? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to get a mis marked can from OHW.?

Sorry, forgot your name at OHW., Recently I bought a 12/12 deal on paint. Came across a weird issue. Had a part (simple half helmet) pre painted ohw silver. Did a bad dip. Bought the 12/12 to get more silver for rebase. Silver can out of new batch, approx 7-8 coats later REALLY, 7-8 ; almost half the can on a half helmet in a wtf moment because it just wouldn't cover. Looked almost like clear until the third coat or so. Is it possible I had a mismarked can of inter coat metallic? It really seemed almost like a sort of metallic tinted clear. I can still make out the bad dip I was trying to cover, even with all that paint. And yes it was A very well shaken can too. I do know how well metallics will lay down As long as they're shaken thoroughly.
In fact, you know when you first do a waste spray to clear propellant it often comes out clear -ish before to pigment starts flowing? It's like that but not a lot of color lays down.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,167Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you text me a pic of the can? 305-318-1468 JJ
    I just checked inventory and the cases seem fine - hit me up though so we can figure out what's up
  • NightinGaleNightinGale Posts: 32Member
    @onehitwonder

Pic. 1 shows image from bad dip still.
    Remember, this is like 7 coats of WTF.?

Pic. 2 is can label...Metallic Silver

Pic. 3 the bottom of the diamond is a single pass, the top was 2 passes

Pic.4 notice overspray after nudging helmet. Super Crazy metallic, but not enough base color to cover cardboard and white areas.

Almost like all metallic mica dust and no base silver color? I haven't used your intercoat metallic, but this is how I imagine it. That's why I thought maybe a mislabel or something.

Shop Conditions and prep:
    Well shaken, medium wet coat,about 70 degrees F. Bad dip was prepped by quick hit of 000 then washed,rinsed dried with Dawn as a detergent. Painted 2 days later.

Comments, suggestions?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,585Member ✭✭✭✭
    @NightinGale are you laying a white base first? If i use any silvers or bright colors I will lay white first and you will get better coverage than trying to get full coverage without the white base. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

@NightinGale are you laying a white base first? If i use any silvers or bright colors I will lay white first and you will get better coverage than trying to get full coverage without the white base. 

After I saw the video of Jim doing that bike frame in silver, and painting it white first.. I've been doing that also. I've noticed a difference.

I've used several of OHW's metallic, never had an issue.. but I've never used a rattle can for it though.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,585Member ✭✭✭✭
    I base everything white first unless it's a dark color. Blacks, dark grays, blues, and dark greens are bout the only colors I don't base white first. 
     I use the rattle cans if I'm doing little small one off jobs and of coarse the coverage is good but nothing like a spray gun
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    Also remember, for this process you do not have to have 100% full coverage, most films do not show that much of a big part of the basecoat. Seems like you are trying to achieve full coverage from a spraycan when you do not need it for dipping. What film are you using?

And yes, I agree with everyone else, put down white as a ground coat for coverage.
    If all else fails get a spray gun, a lot easier...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah our Aqualac Metallic Silver doesn't cover very well either. We always shoot white or black first (unless the part is already that color), then the metallic silver.
    For those that asked.... Inked Up was the film.
    I use OHW paints exclusively. They cover great, lay down flatter than a pancake, no priming reqd. Theres a lot to love there. Have used many. Just noticed this is clear as all get out. Look at the failure to even cover the diamond on the end panel of the box.
    Also to add regarding using white as a pre-base; Notice on final pic, it didn't cover the white on the box either.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Also to add regarding using white as a pre-base; Notice on final pic, it didn't cover the white on the box either.

Well.. sort of. It did cover it, but it didn't cover the brown and you're seeing the contrast. Just grab a speed shape and try a white or black base first and you'll see what we mean. 2 medium coats over white or black should do it. I think I have some metallic silver OHW aerosol. I'll throw it on the shaker and do a quick test to see what it does on a cardboard box, then on a plain black speed shape so you have reference from another can. Stay tuned.
    Ok, here you go. This is OHW 2.0 Metallic Silver Aerosol. Paint can was on the shaker for about 10 minutes (make sure you mix EXTREMELY well when using metallics). I did two light-medium coats on the speed shapes. White base is on the right, black base on the left. The box had two very heavy coats. Just enough so it barely wouldn't run. You can easily see the sticker still. If you had colors in the print, there's no way it would cover it. I'm not saying that your can is fine. Still may be a pigment issue from OHW. But try this first. Shake VERY VERY well, and Base black or white first, then do multiple light-medium coats with the silver until you get even coverage.

Thanks Joe - like I said, hit us up, and we'll get you sorted out
    OK. Although I knew going in that silver can lack in coverage, I guess I expected more out of it than that. I've used a competitors silver before and received better coverage and was expecting the same.

Lessons learned. 1)" Put silver on light coverage over opaque base list. "
    2)" opaque out a bad dip before rebase"
    Thanks guys.

Now @onehitwonder , A question for the paint scientist: Due to what I've learned here, These two paints (both marketed for hydro useage btw) were entirely different make-ups of silver.
    OHW Silver has a much more "coarse and crunchy " appearance to the flake; a truly desirable crusty looking metallic.
    The other seems to have much finer flake. Hugely silver but a kinda lame "metallic" appearance. The appearance being more of a regular rattle can color they refer to as "Aluminum".
    One possibility is, the only thing I'm seeing here are how different sized metallic flakes lay down for coverage. The other is about pigmentation, what would be the difference in make-up of these two paintsbe, without giving away any trade secrets? Are silvers made with just various sized metallic particles suspended in a clear type base?

When it comes to these products, I realize that there are many vendors relabeling paint made by only what I imagine are a select few actual suppliers . What I've noticed here are two distinct types of coverage characteristics, so I figure this other paint is not yours.

Trying to learn alittle more about the science and make-up of paint in general.

Thanks ,Mike
    Great questions! Jason @onehitwonder will chime in. He makes all his paint in house. It isn’t relabeled and isn’t sold under any other names (at least not that I’m aware).

For reference, Aqualac is the best covering paint I’ve found. We use a fraction of Aqualac to cover the same amount of parts compared to any solvent based paint we have tested. Their metallic silver is amazing. Some of the best sparkle I’ve found in a metallic. But it covers and acts pretty much the same as that OHW. White or Black base first.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,192Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Lots of metallics lack coverage for a reason. If they were too opaque, the paint would cover the metal flakes and it would just show up as "silver" instead of "metallic silver". So your findings that the OHW shows metal flake better than the other one which has better coverage seems to confirm this.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,167Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    My limited knowledge of metallic has this to add. Flake is sold in "single cut", "double cut", and so on... Meaning how many times it's run through the grinder. The smaller the flake, the better the coverage in one pass, but the flatter it lays, and the less chunky it looks. Water based being a bit thicker to spray requires a larger nozzle, which affords the better coverage that @MidOhioHydrographics is speaking of. Also, an aerosol has an even smaller nozzle, which requires a finer cut compared to the same "brand" paint and the same color (correct me if I am wrong here @onehitwonder) yet by the nature of the rattlecan the solvents are going to be higher and coverage not as good as a conventional gun due to lower build per pass.

Basically, if you want better flake, get a gun and spray the way it's supposed to be done, and you can find some other options out there that can get you different looks too.
    All very accurate replies here. Our binder is a chalky grey color, with zero coverage - the only thing that gives any opacity are our pigments. Unfortunately for the paint industry, but fortunately for the environment, lead has been removed from all paint, and this is what gave those old lacquers such great opacity. So with our silver, we add a ton of superfine flake to give as much coverage as we can, and also larger flake for the sparkle. No other pigments. It may take a few more coats, but in the light, our silver is unbeatable.

And no, OHW is only available from us, and Emerald Coatings in Canada
  • abrantabrant Posts: 28Member
    i know i order i can of john deere green once that was not the color i got but i liked the green anyway. so not a big deal to me