Sandblast cabinet build help — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandblast cabinet build help

I picked up this stainless ice maker with a goal of making it a blast cabinet. I'm going to chop it all up and make it have access from both sides. I'm also going to have a cyclone funnel built for the bottom. What hoses, gloves, pedal and other equipment would you suggest? Also where is the best place to shop?

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,022Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Honestly? its cheaper to buy a pre-built unit. The interior walls are not thick enough, and they will wear out and release insulation into your cabinet. The cabinet is deeper than necessary, and will be inconvenient. Just because it looks like it is the right shape, doesnt mean its going to be a good starting point.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,946Administrator El Jefe
    I am running the numbers myself since I have the knowledge and expertise to build my own sand blaster...but you can get good ones for the time and expense it is going to take to re-invent one or even build one from scratch...and I have shears and sheet metal brakes and welders in my shop...but for $2000 or less you can get a damn good sand blast cabinet...
    That being said? Here is a picture of what I think you should try...

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,614Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
  • SOUTHERNHYDROSOUTHERNHYDRO Posts: 261Member ✭✭✭
    I can always just turn it into a rinse tank.

Do you have a link of the sandblast cabinets that I would be better off buying?
    edited October 2017
    Oh...affordable?

RedLine Click Here
    Greg Smith Click Here Gotta Type in Sand Blast to get to where you need to go...not sure why the "Catagory" tab disappeared but it did a couple days ago...
    Global Industrial Click Here

Pressure pot systems are much more efficient (FASTER) but usually add around $600 to the price tag...personally I think it would be worth it...less fatigue on your trigger hand than holding a gun all the time...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,081Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I know a guy (Blake Winters on facebook) that got a redline pressure blast and regretted it. Basically a suction feed cabinet w a pressure Pot attached. Dust collector and everything else were far undersized for a pressure blast setup. Good pressure blast cabinets aren’t cheap. If you can’t spend the money on something like an Empire or Clemco,, I’d recommend gettinf a suction. Bad Boy blasters have great reviews also.

May people swear by the Harbor Freight cabinet with some upgrade kits that can be found online.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,081Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I’m sure there are less expensive versions of pressure blasters just do your homework. Make sure everything else is sized for that kind of blasting. But oh yeah, Pressure blast is 3-4x faster and AWESOME. Just
    @MidOhioHydrographics Really? I heard Blake was totally stoked with his purchase...that's why I was researching Redlines...well I am glad you got me thinking...hated to spend that kind of money for a BadBoy but I don't want to spend 50% less and regret the decision...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,509Member ✭✭✭✭
    @SOUTHERNHYDRO I think price wise grizzly isn't a bad blaster at all. I don't know if many guys here have used them but I like them

@MidOhioHydrographics Really? I heard Blake was totally stoked with his purchase...that's why I was researching Redlines...well I am glad you got me thinking...hated to spend that kind of money for a BadBoy but I don't want to spend 50% less and regret the decision...

Actually yeah He was for the first week..... LOL. It was super fast and blasted parts efficiently, then it started going bad. I actually warned him when he bought it. That is the exact cabinet as my Grizzly "Industrial" model I started with... with the exact same undersized dust collector. It wouldn't even keep up with my suction feed for more than a day, and I had nothing but issues with it chewing through generic, cheap made parts. Message him on Facebook and he will clarify what exact problems his had. Check out the size of the dust collector unit and reclaimer on the Clemco and Empire pressure blast cabinets, then look at the puny thing on the back of the Redline/Grizzly. There's always the option that Maybe you can modify/upgrade and make it better with your metal forming knowledge. Just do you homework (as you always do). There has to be a cheaper effective option compared to a $15k Empire. But I have had zero issues with mine, short of a couple hoses wearing through (normal wear and tear).
    Well thank you for warning me...saved my bacon...I guess the $4400 BadBoy is the way we will be going then...this is what I mean when guys try to save a buck on cheaper equipment...
    Full disclosure, I didn't research much past Clemco and Empire. Went w/ Empire due to the fact Dad has had his for many, many years and still going strong. There may be others that have good reviews, and if it's not being used for hours every day like ours, the other brands may hold up great.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,022Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We had 3 Rumlin units that lasted 30 years...
    Great input guys. Thank you.

We had 3 Rumlin units that lasted 30 years...

I couldn’t remember this name for the life of me! I’m glad you chimed in.
    I think they are/were made in Wisconsin too.

http://www.ruemelin.com/
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 967Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

I know a guy (Blake Winters on facebook) that got a redline pressure blast and regretted it. Basically a suction feed cabinet w a pressure Pot attached. Dust collector and everything else were far undersized for a pressure blast setup. Good pressure blast cabinets aren’t cheap. If you can’t spend the money on something like an Empire or Clemco,, I’d recommend gettinf a suction. Bad Boy blasters have great reviews also.

May people swear by the Harbor Freight cabinet with some upgrade kits that can be found online.

I have a Harbor Freight cabinet with the Tacoma Company kit on it. It originally belonged to Joe over at Sac Hydro. It works great. That being said, I'm not doing production, and not using it constantly. I have talked to the Tacoma Company on the phone. Even though I didn't buy it direct from them, they provided great customer service when I had questions.
    UPDATE
    http://www.skatblast.com/960-pro-blaster-cabinet.html
    I just picked this up used for 300.00 =)
    Thats a great find!...